Rhapsody in Blue
The World at Work
H ow could the local (micr o)
d ecentr alized inter actions
o f social a gents,
f ollowing simple r ules,
g ener ate the obser ved
( macr o) patter n?
Generative Social Science
Ravel (1928) Bolero
1. Real Social Networks Have Structure
2. Whom to Immunize?
3. Disease Spread on a Random Network
4. Disease Spread on a Scale-Free Network
5. Epidemic Simulations on Random & Scale-Free
6. Spread on a Small-World Network
Saul Bass (1968) Why Man Creates
1. The !Kung San: a hunter-gatherer society
2. Population Growth Question
3. Two Explanations
4. Logistic Growth Mathematical Model of
Emergent Properties in Small Scale Societies :
Small World Ride
In which we look
at patterns of relationship among agents.
People and various relations
World Wide Web
Web pages and links
Formal Organization Chart
Informal Organizational Networks
Royal Fireworks Music
1. Equilibrium in Physical and Chemical Systems
2. Basic Energy Concepts
3. Thermodynamic Equilibrium
4. Far-from-Equilibrium Systems in Physics
5. Far-from-Equilibrium Systems in Chemistry
6. Self-Organized Criticali
Self-Organized Emergent Complexity
Scott Joplin (1902): The Entertainer.
1. What is a complex system?
1.1 A Note on Non-Linearity
1.2 A Note on Determinism, Predictability &
2. What is self-organization?
3. What is reductionism and what is the