Chapter 11: Ethers
Chem 30B Lecture 13, Winter 09
The functional group of an ether is an oxygen atom bonded to two carbon atoms. In dialkyl ethers, oxygen is sp3 hybridized with bond angles of approximately 109.5. In dimethyl ether, the
(a) Number of nitrogens: M (b) Number of carbons: M
M+1 M+2 M+1 M+2 M+1 M+2 M+1 M+2 M+1 M+2 M+1 M+2
1. (12 points) Circle the peak in the mass spectrum that best reveals. Base peak Base peak Base peak Base peak Base
Final Exam Part B
1. (6 points) Above or next to each arrow write the appropriate reagents.
2. (2 points) Circle the molecule with the highest boiling point.
3. (5 poi
1) Determine the starting materials from the products shown below using carbonyl reactions. (ie. Wittig/modified, Horner-Emmons-Wadsworth, organometalic, amines) a.
2) Give the products. Indicate stereochemistry when possibl
Chapter 15: Organometallics 1. Grignard reactions can be performed in all of the following solvents except: a. THF b. ether c. chloroform 2. Which halogens are best for the Grignard reagent RMgX: a. I b. Br c. Cl d. F 3. Organometallic reactions must be p