130. Identify at least four forces in the general environment of organizations and provide an
example of each for an industry or business. How do these forces differ from the external
stakeholders in the task environment?
131. Identify and define the appr
91. Inflation is an example of _ forces in an organization's general environment.
92. The music industry has been changed dramatically by consumers' ability to download
84. For convenience, you purchase tickets to a comedy show through TicketMaster rather than
from the venue itself. In this case, TicketMaster acts as a
A. strategic ally.
D. special interest group.
85. A large a
68. "Ethnocentrism" is a strong self-identification with one's race or ethnicity, often to the
exclusion of other personal characteristics.
Multiple Choice Questions
69. Managers who sometimes side with employees over clients may
A. radically h
107. Which of the following statements about a code of ethics is most true?
A. A code of ethics is rarely a written document but instead an informal understanding
between people who work for a particular organization.
B. Most codes of ethics offer guidanc
245.Sales tools used to support a company's advertising and personal selling directed to wholesalers,
distributors, or retailers are referred to as
A. trade-oriented sales promotions.
B. consumer-oriented promotions.
C. reseller-oriented promotions.
47. Personality tests can be used to identify potentially dishonest people before they are
48. Ethics training can enhance high ethical standards in the workplace, even in the presence
of a strong code of ethics.
32. (p. 79) The economic integration of the European Union can best be considered part of
International forces are changes in the economic, political, legal, and technological global
system that may affect an organization. The econo
61. On Gardenswartz and Rowe's "diversity wheel", internal dimensions of diversity include
gender, age, and race.
62. On Gardenswartz and Rowe's "diversity wheel", biographical dimensions of diversity
consist of the personal characteristics tha
110. Allie felt that her small business in Detroit had a larger duty than just following the law
and making a profit. She wanted to make a difference in her community by helping with
issues like poverty and high unemployment. Allie believes in
The Manager's Changing Work Environment & Ethical Responsibilities:
Doing the Right Thing
True / False Questions
1. Stanford professor Jeffrey Pfeffer calls organizations with high turnover and low
productivity "challenge organizations."
8. Some firms do not have a Board of Directors.
9. In an organization's environment, internal stakeholders include the suppliers of an
10. Rodrigo sits on the Board of Directors for RoyalCo Inc., although he is not amon
95. American companies may be more willing to sue competitors to gain competitive
advantage than those in other countries, which is an example of which type of force?
252.While reading the newspaper, Belinda noticed an advertisement containing manufacturer's coupons from
Kodak redeemable only at Target stores. This ad is an example of
A. cooperative advertising.
C. a finance allowance.
D. a merchandise
118. _ is defined as the stable physical and mental characteristics responsible for a
119. Which of the following would be considered a primary dimension of div
3. (p. 70) Walmart pays its employees higher wages than Costco does.
In the past, the difference in the way Walmart and Costco treated their employees was
dramatic, and still is in terms of pay rates: Walmart pays its retail cashiers an average of $
20. (p. 75) External stakeholders include labor unions.
Labor unions employee organizations are among the 11 groups that are external stakeholders
in the task environment.
Learning Objective: 03-02 W
122. Which of the following diversity issues is true in the U.S. workforce?
A. Unemployment among the disabled has dropped sharply since the introduction of the
Americans with Disabilities Act.
B. Literacy has ceased to be an issue among American workers.
54. Philanthropy means making charitable donations to benefit humankind.
55. Andrew Carnegie, steel magnate and supporter of free libraries, is an example of a
56. The majority of American adults are likely to purchas
29. (p. 78) An interest in health and fitness leading to a boost in sales of athletic shoes
demonstrates a sociocultural force.
Sociocultural forces are influences and trends originating in a country's, a society's, or a
culture's human relationships
32. The economic integration of the European Union can best be considered part of economic
33. The standards of right and wrong that influence behavior are called ethics.
34. A situation in which you have to decide whether to
12. (p. 73) The task environment consists of groups that present workers with daily tasks to
The task environment consists of 11 groups that present you with daily tasks to handle.
Chapter 03 The Manager's Changing Work Environment & Ethical
Responsibilities: Doing the Right Thing Answer Key
True / False Questions
1. (p. 69) Stanford professor Jeffrey Pfeffer calls organizations with high turnover and low
productivity "challenge org
72. Governments are part of the _ environment of organizations.
73. Technological forces are part of the _ environment of organizations.
76. Which of the following is an example of an internal stakeholder of an organization?
A. A local news station
B. The distributor for one of the finished products
C. A new union
D. The suppliers of raw materials for one of the products
E. The non-managem
80. _ are in an organization's external task environment.
B. International forces
E. Demographic forces
F. Difficulty: Easy
81. A U.S. paper mill purchases wood from a Canadian logging company to make wood pulp
in its prod
6. (p. 72) Internal stakeholders include the employees of an organization.
The internal stakeholders consist of employees, owners, and the board of directors, if any.
Learning Objective: 03-01 Stockh
99. Fairness in hiring practices is an example of an organization's
A. cost-benefit analysis.
C. competitive advantage.
D. long-term interests.
100. In considering a large-scale layoff, a manager performs a cost-benefit analysis an
18. (p. 74) Strategic allies may be organizations that are traditional rivals but combine their
efforts to overcome a new competitor or other threat in the environment.
Companies, and even nonprofit organizations, frequently link up with other organi