Preliminary Exam #7
1. Mingus was most important as
an influential pianist
disciple of Claude Thornhill
bassist in the Dizzy Gillespie big band
2. Eric Dolphy was known as a
African Music Exam
1. The Eastern Cattle area in Africa now hosts the countries Kenya, Uganda, and
Tanzania. Because the people in this region are so diverse it is difficult to give an
account of the varying cultures here, the three tribes best known to i
Preliminary Exam #2
1. Buddy Bolden was the first jazz star of the Brass Band.
2. Scott Joplins Ragtime, Opera (1911) was Treemonisha.
3. Will M. Cooke and Bob Cole, ran the. African American Music Theatre in New
York just before the
6. Horace Silvers most common instrumentation was
a. tenor sax, trumpet, piano, bass and drums
b. alto sax, trumpet, piano, bass and drums
c. big band
d. trumpet, trombone, tenor sax, piano, bass and drums
7. Those few hard bop pieces
Sun Ra & the New CHICAGO SCHOOL; Other Miles Davis Alumni:
WAYNE SHORTER, RON CARTER, TONY WILLIAMS
11. Anthony Braxton is a
a. swinging bop disciple and competitor of Phil Woods
b. composer of narrow scope
c. jazz musician with no interests outside ja
Preliminary Exam #4
1. What were the names of Armstrongs second, third and fourth wives?
'Jazz is My Religion' is based on a poem by Ted Joans.
1. The narrator expressed that clubs are his houses of worship and sometimes the concert
2. Harlem U.S.A. used to be a jazz heaven where most of the jazz sermons were preached.
3. The narrator
Name:_ Student ID#_BAJE Prelim
(Listening Exam #1 Answer KEY)
11B Listening Exam#1-KEY
1. Chant avec cithare Whisper singer from Burundi. [CD#1-16]
2. What is the other name for the string instrument in this piece? This is
a song with inanga accompaniment