4. Bipolar disorder can also be treated with an anticonvulsant medicine
called Depakote. It is useful for treating patients who do not respond
to lithium and patients who rapidly cycle through bouts of bipolar
disorder several times a year.
The humanisticperspectivein psychology emphasizes human potential,
and freedom of choice.
A. Carl Rogers and Client-Centered Therapy
1. Clientcenteredtherapy(personcenteredtherapy)was developed
by humanistic psychologi
Mary Cover Jones: The First Behavior Therapist
a. MaryCoverJonespioneered the use of behavioral techniques
in therapy. She explored ways of reversing conditioned fears.
b. In treating 3-year-old Peters fear of rabbits, Jones used a procedure
now known as
bedwetting by conditioning arousal from sleep in response to bodily
signals of a full bladder. It is effective in about 75 percent of schoolage
children who have difficulties with bedwetting.
5. Aversive Conditioning
Aversiveconditioningis a relatively in
1. Cognitivebehavioraltherapy(CBT)refers to therapy that integrates
cognitive and behavioral techniques and that is based on the
assumption that thoughts, moods, and behaviors are interrelated.
2. Cognitive-behavioral therapists challenge maladaptive beli
cost of materials.
c. Typically, members have a common problem and meet for the
purpose of exchanging psychological support.
d. The format of such groups varies enormously, but many follow a
e. Self-help groups canbeas effective as thera
c. Clientcharacteristicsmotivated, committed to therapy, and
actively involved in the process.
d. Externalcircumstancesa stable living situation and supportive
2. Increasingly, mental health professionals are moving toward
availability of dopamine. It is as effective as other atypical
antipsychotics but has fewer side effects. It also seems to be
effective in the treatment of manic episodes associated with bipolar
B. Antianxiety Medications
1. On PET scans, compared with nondepressed adults, depressed individuals
show increased activity in the prefrontalcortex,the caudate
nucleus,and the thalamus.
2. Studies showed that depressive symptoms improved with eitheran
antidepressant (Paxil or Effe
7. Realize that your therapist is not a substitute friend.
8. Be aware that therapeutic intimacy does not include sexual intimacy;
9. Dont expect change to happen overnigh
(Joseph Wolpe) Systematicdesensitizationreducing phobic responses by
relaxation with progressively more fear-provoking stimuli
Virtualrealitytherapyeasier and less expensive method of
systematic desensitization using a computer-generated, threedim
Chapter 15 discusses the use of psychotherapies and biomedical therapies to treat
psychological disorders. Psychoanalysis, which is based on Freuds theory of
is described, including its basic assumptions and techniques. Contemporary
2. Biomedicaltherapiesinvolve the use of psychotropicmedications,
electroconvulsive therapy, or other medical treatments to treat the
symptoms associated with psychological disorders.
3. Until very recently, only licensed physicians, such as psychiatrists
Answer: He had no excuse to fail.
10) What is the name given to discriminating against people because of
their genetic profile?
Answer: They were called genensim.
11) After all there is no gene for . What?
Answer: There is no gene for fate.
12) Jerome nev
1) What does Jerome (Vincent) place on the comb at his workstation?
Answer: Jerome placed Vincent (the donor) hair on the comb.
2) They used to say that a child conceived in love has greater chance of
3) What is
Answer: Two healthy boys and two healthy girls.
6) According to the geneticist, we have enough of this built in already.
What is it?
Answer: We have enough of imperfection built already.
7) What is Vincents brother name?
Answer: His brother name was Anton
Answer: because of likelihood of heart failure.
20) When Jerome (Vincent) and Irene go to a concert, what is unusual
about the piano players?
Answer: The piano player has six figures in each hand.
21) What does Jerome (Vincent) dispose before he stopped b
Answer: His middle is Eugene.
15) What is a borrowed ladder or de-generate?
Answer: Someone who borrows someone else's identity.
16) What does Jerome (Vincent) leave behind at the murder scene?
Answer: His eye-lash.
17) What are hoovers?
Answer: The FBI.
Answer: Her pill case.
24) What does Irene asks Jerome (Vincent) after she realizes that he is
Answer: To not say anything.
25) Who killed the mission director?
Answer: The main director Josef.
26) Who does the detective leading the murder in
Answer: He sees the stars shinning in the black sky.
29) Why does Eugene think that he got the better end of the deal?
Answer: Eugene says, I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you
my body, but you lent me your dream." In other words, Eugene fina
Section #: Group
Conservation of Linear Momentum: Initial equals to final momentum
Your signature indicates that you have completely read the entire report and agree with
everything here in. Failure to sign will result in a zero
4. Dismissive-avoidant individuals are low on anxiety and high on
avoidance; they tend to have high self-regard, do not care whether they
are accepted by others, and tend to be self-sufficient because they view
others as unreliable.
Friendships are as imp
In spite of a decrease in the number of marriages, the institution remains an
important goal and component of a good life in the eyes of most Americans.
Some people may remain single by choice while others may remain single
because of difficulty finding
engage in negative behavior that erodes marital quality; this is known as
the vulnerability-stress-adaptation model.
Sometimes marital therapy is necessary; involvement in counseling
together can help reduce negative behavior and helps the couple return
o Divorced individuals are less happy and have lower self-esteem.
o They have increased psychological distress, more alcohol consumption,
worse physical health, and are at a greater risk of mortality.
o Divorce often leads to a lower standard of living, e
Realistic expectations about the workload that comes with a new baby along
with a plan for getting everything done can help the marriage.
Mothers tend to experience more stress when a child comes along than do
fathers probably because they typically take