1) Which of the following is not among the factors that determine whether competitive rivalry among
industry members is strong, moderate, or weak?
a. Whether buyer demand for the product is growing rapidly or slowly
b. Whether customers' costs to switch b
1. Which one of the following is not a factor that makes an alliance "strategic" as opposed to just a
convenient business arrangement?
a. The alliance involves joint contribution of resources and is mutually beneficial.
b. The alliance helps block a compe
Panera Bread A. Coleman, 1
In 1976, a French oven manufacturer called Pavillier opened a restaurant known
as Au Bon Pair which translates to where good bread is in Boston. After recognizing
the growth potentia
A. Coleman, Page 1 of 7
In 2006, Andrew Mason became frustrated when trying to cancel a cell phone
contract and began to think of an idea that would allow customers to use their collective
Business ethics concerns
A developing a consensus among companies worldwide as to what ethical principles that businesses
. should be expected to observe in the course of conducting their operations.
B. what ethical behaviors should be
1. A company becomes a prime candidate for diversifying under the following circumstances
a. When it spots opportunities for expanding into industries whose technologies and products
complement its present business.
b. When it has a powerful and well-kn
1. Companies opt to expand into foreign markets for such reasons as to
a. boost returns on investment, broaden their product lines, avoid tariffs and trade restrictions, and
escape having to deal with strong labor unions.
b. gain access to new customers,
1. A company's competitive strategy deals
a. with the specific actions management plans to take to develop a better value
chain than rivals.
b. with how it plans to unify its functional and operating strategies into a cohesive
effort aimed at successfully
1. Which one of the following is not helpful in identifying the components of a single-business company's
a. Initiatives to build competitive advantage
b. Efforts to expand or narrow geographic coverage
c. The company's resource strengths and we
1) Which one of the following is not an integral part of the managerial process of crafting and executing
a. Developing a strategic vision, a mission statement and core values.
b. Choosing a strategic intent.
c. Setting objectives.
d. Crafting a
1) Which of the following statements about a company's strategy is true?
a. Crafting an excellent strategy is more important than executing it well.
b. The objective of a well-crafted strategy is not merely temporary competitive success and prof