Gas Problems #4
760 torr = 760 mm Hg = 1 atm
R = 0.0821 L atm/mol K
1. If 333 mL of an ideal gas at a temperature of 25 C and a pressure of 750. torr has its
temperature lowered to -11 C and its pressure lowered to 730. mm Hg, what will its new
Name _ Dr. Harrison
1. (10 pts) An interesting natural product was isolated from an Indonesian (Haliclona sp.) sponge called haliclotriol A. Consider that this triterpene has a molecular formula of C36H58O6 to answer the following que
1. (3 pts) Calculate the following.
a) Grams of KCl to make 1.22 L of a 0.250 M solution.
b) Volume of solution (in mL) to make a 0.400 M solution from 33.5 g of sodium
c) How many grams of lithium nitrate
Numerical value Scientific notation
base unit grams = g (mass), meters = m (length), liters = L (volume)
1 m = 1000 mm
Moles: Chemical Equations
1. Chemical EquationsReactants Products
use subscripts to denote phase:
g = gas
l = liquid
s = solid
aq = aqueous (dissolved in water)
Atoms are conserved- atoms are not created or destroye
Mole Worksheet (Dimensional Analysis) #2
I. What is the weight (in grams) for each of the following compounds or elements? 1. 7.24 moles of silver phosphate 2. 2.88 moles of diphosphorous pentoxide 3. 0.0009273 moles of zinc bicarbonate 4. 154.8 moles of
Solutions: consist of a solute dissolved in a solvent. Solute is the lesser amount and solvent is the greater amount.
1. Solution one substance dissolves in another, homogeneous. Dispersed evenly. solid - liquid liquid - liquid gas - liquid sol
Solutions Worksheet #5
1. What would be the percent concentration of each of the following solutions? a. 54.0 g of AgNO3 g is dissolved in 128 g of water. b. 4.22 g of K2CO3 is dissolved in 426 mL of water. c. 0.762 g of ZnF2 is dissolved in 1.30 liters o
1. Thermodynamics is the study of energy, heat, and work. Energy- is the ability to do work. work = Force x distance a. Two typesa. Potential stored energy. b. Kinetic motion
b. Temperature is directly related to the kinetic energy of the a
1 mile = 5,280 ft
1 inch = 2.54 cm
3 feet = 1 yard 454 g = 1lb 946 mL = 1 qt
I. Set up and solve the following using dimensional analysis. 1. 5,400 in to mi 2. 16 weeks to sec 3. 54 yards to mm 4. 36 cm/sec to mph 5. 1.09 g/mL to lb
1. (4 pts)Write the formulas of each of the following names.
a) aluminum oxide_ b) magnesium nitride_
c) dinitrogen tetraoxide_ d) copper(II)flouride_
e) calcium carbonate _ f) iron (III) phosphite _
g) nitrogen _
Name _ Dr. Harrison
1. (2 pts) Give the most probable ion formed from each of the following elements.
a) Ca _
b) N _
2. (2 pts) Determine the value or element X represents. a) 2X _ 1 b) 26Si X _
3. (2 pts) Which elements are represent
Name _ Dr. Harrison
1. (4 pts) Determine the number of significant figures in the following measurements.
a) 40,000 g _
c) 080.40 g _
b) 40,001 g _
d) 1.00 x 10-4 g _
2. (4 pts) Using scientific notation convert the following measurem
1. (8 pts) Calculate the following.
State whether this
solution is acidic or basic
a) [H3O+] = 2.6 x 10-9 pH = _8.6_
b) [OH-] = 5.8 x 10-2
c) pH = 6.4
pH = _12.8_
[H3O+] = _4.0 x 10-7_
d) pOH = 3.2 [H3O+
Structure of the Atom 2
Atom-book- in one letter i contains more atoms than seconds in 10 billion years. 500 B.C. everything is composed of atoms. *overhead of atomic theory. A) subatomic particles- what atoms are composed of.
Types of Bonds to form Compounds
1) Valence e
e in outermost shell are called valence electrons
Ca (20 e) 1s22s22p63s23p64s2
2 valence e
S (16 e) 1s22s22p63s23p4
6 valence e
Ar (20 e) 1s22s22p63s23p6
8 valence e
The group number refers t
Radioactivity- some atoms of specific isotopes spontaneously emit energy and
particles (radiation). Usually from an unstable nucleus. This reaction results in an
alteration in nuclear composition.
1) There are three types of radiation
Measurements and Units
1. What is a science- difficult to define. Science is an accumulation of knowledge about
our physical world based on observations. Scientific observation must be reproducible.
a. Hypothesis.- a guess that explains observable data th
Overhead Kinetic Theory of gasses.
Four terms to describe a Gas
1. Pressure- (P) kinetic energy of gas particles resulting in a force.
Pressure = force/area = units
1 atm = mmHg = 760 torr = 760 barr
2. Volume- (V) volume of the container is equal to
On all problems, show work for full credit.
1. (8 pts) Convert the following measurements to three significant figures and express the
number in the proper scientific notation format.
a. 100,900 cm 1.01 x 105
d. 209.98 x
Chem 30A, Spring 2000 EXAM #2 Name_ Dr. Harrison Avagadro's number = 6.02 x 10 23 1. (15 pts) Calculate the following based on the compound (NH4)2HPO 4: (write in the correct units) a) Molar mass = 132.0 g/mole
b) How many moles are in 42.7g ? 0.323 mole
Chem 30A Spring '00
R = 0.0821 L atm/ mol K, 1 atm = 760 torr = 760 mm Hg, 1 mol = 6.02 x 1023 units Heat of fusion = 80. cal/g C Heat of vaporization = 540 cal/g C 1. (10 pts) How many joules of heat energy are needed to convert 455 g of wa
1. (8 pts) a) Circle the compound(s) that can hydrogen bond.
b) Circle the weak acids.
H3PO 4 HF
2. (12 pts) Suppose that 82.2