Below is some information about films for the Best Movie Academy Award (Oscar) in 2009.
The Blind Side
The Hurt Locker
A Serious Man
Up in The Air
The scatterplot below shows the fuel efficiency (in miles per gallon) and weight (in pounds) of
twenty 2009 subcompact cars.
Fuel efficiency and Car weight
Fuel Efficiency, MPG
1. For each of the following situations involving sampling, identifyas precisely as possible
the population that the sample represents.
(a) A business school researcher wants to know what factors affect the survival and succe
1. A consumer watchdog organization estimates the mean weight of 1-ounce Fun-Size candy
bars to see if customers are getting full value for their money. A random sample of 25 bars is
selected and weighed, and the organization
Is there a link between the amount of cigarette smoking in countries and death rates from
coronary heart disease (CHD)? Below is computer output from a regression analysis of this
relationship for 14 randomly-selected countr
1. A grocery store sells four different sizes of a popular brand of corn flakes. For the past few
years the proportion of boxes they sell of each size has been quite stable: 10% Small, 15%
Medium, 60% Large, and 15% Jumbo. T
1. For each of the following settings, define the parameter of interest and write the appropriate
null and alternative hypotheses for the test that is described.
(a) The mean weight of loaves of bread produced at the bakery w
1. You have two large bins of several thousand plastic beads. Bin A is 60% red beads; Bin B is
48% red beads. Suppose you take a random sample of 80 beads from each bin and calculate
p A = the proportion of red beads in the
1. The probability distribution below is for the random variable X = number of mice caught in
traps during a single night in small apartment building.
0.12 0.20 0.31 0.14 0.16 0.07
(a) Make a histogram of t
1. For each description below, identify each underlined number as a parameter or statistic. Use
appropriate notation to describe each number, e.g., p 0.96 .
(a) A 1993 survey conducted by the Richmond Times-Dispatch one week
1. The probability of rolling two six-sided dice and having the sum on the two dice equal 7 is
(a) Interpret this probability.
(b) You roll two dice six times. Are you guaranteed to get a sum of 7 once? Explain.
2. To p