1. What volume will 1.75 moles of carbon monoxide occupy at STP?
2. What volume will 0.60 moles of ammonia occupy at STP?
3. What volume will 5.00 g of oxygen occupy at STP?
4. What volume will 100.0 g of nitrogen occupy at STP?
5. What volume will 10.75
1. Chlorine gas occupies a volume of 21.0 mL at 300. K. What volume will it
occupy at 600. K?
2. Fluorine gas at 300. K occupies a volume of 500. mL. To what temperature
should it be lowered to bring the volume to 300. mL?
3. A sample of argon gas is cool
1. A 2.00 L container of nitrogen had a pressure of 3.21 atm. What volume would
be necessary to decrease the pressure to 1.50 atm?
2. Ammonia gas occupies a volume of 455 mL at a pressure of 725 mmHg. What
volume will it occupy at standard pressure?
400 Chemistry Problem Set 8
1. Given a closed-end manometer with a 22.00 mm difference in mercury levels in
the sides of the tube, find the pressure of the trapped gas in mmHg, torr, atm, and
kPa. (Draw a picture of it, too.)
2. Given a closed-end m
Kinetic Molecular Theory (KMT)
Gas particles are tiny (molecular size is negligible compared to total volume of
Gas particles are in constant, rapid, random motion
Particles are small, hard spheres with insignificant volume
Particles are far apar
Absolute temperature (temperature in Kelvin) is directly proportional to average kinetic
energy of particles
Temp in Kelvin = T in Celsius + 273
Temp in Celsius = T in Kelvin -273
Absolute zero (0 Kelvin, -273 Celsius) = essentially no
Acids and Bases
Intro to Acids and Bases
Have a low pH
React with metals to produce a salt and
React with bases to produce a salt and
water (neutralization reaction)
Are electrolytes, conduct electr
1. A container holds three gases: oxygen, carbon dioxide, and helium. The partial
pressures of the three gases are 2.00 atm, 3.00 atm, and 4.00 atm, respectively.
What is the total pressure inside the container?
2. A tank contains 460.0 g of oxygen and 80
1. If the density of a gas is 1.20 g/L at 745 torr and 20.0 deg C, what is its molecular
2. Find the number of grams of carbon dioxide that exert a pressure of 785 torr at a
volume of 32.5 L and a temperature of 32 deg C.
3. An elemental gas has a m
1. If a gas in a closed container is pressurized from 15.0 atm to 16.0 atm, and its
original temperature was 25.0 deg C, what would its final temperature be?
2. If I initially have a gas at a pressure of 12 atm, a volume of 23 L, and a
temperature of 225