1. What were the three forms of English madrigals? Describe each type.
The Madrigal Proper uses quite a bit of word-painting, which is the matching
of music to the words in the text. The Ballet is danced to and also sung to.
The Ayre is p
1. What is popular music ? any music that is in line with the tastes and
preferences of the middle class.
2. What theme does pop music typically use in the lyrics? Describe one pop
song that uses this theme. Why is this theme such a popul
1.Who were the Poor Clares? Why is it somewhat surprising that they were
accomplished musicians?The poor Clares are a group of nuns and they were
successful musicians and they were in a closed in choir but their music was
heard and sung by many people.
1. What are figured bass and basso continuo? How are they related?Figured bass is a
musical notation using numbers to indicate chords, intervals, and other aspects in
relation to the bass note of the music. Basso continuo was the harmony of the music.
Context Clues 1.1
Directions: read each sentence and determine the meaning of the word using cross sentence clues or your
prior knowledge. Then, explain what clues in the sentence helped you determine the word meaning.
1. Dignity: Even when the po
1. The following answers are located in the articles. Read through the articles
to answer each question:
a. Which instrument looks like a snake? The serpent
b. Which instrument is played by winding a crank?The hurdy-gurdy
c. Which instrument "is a loud re
1. Describe some of the influence of Latin music in the US in the early part of
the twentieth century. In 1930, Mario Bauza, arrived in NYC when he was 19
years old. Bauza brought his brother in law, Machito, from Puerto Rico.
Machito was a good maraca pl
Lab Questions unit 2
1. Who sang at the Grammys in Spanish in the late 1990s? What was the reaction?
Ricky Martin sang in the grammys in spanish in the late 1990s and the reaction was
2. When did Latin music burst back on the scene? What song
What is the title of the first article? *
Who/What organization wrote it? *
What information do you plan on using from it? (Copy and paste and
example of a quote) *
Paste the URL here: *
What is the title of the second article? *
1. What is the Hurrian song? Why is it important? The hurrian song is a set of
fragmentary relics as well as a nearly complete example of notated music
from around 1400 BCE. It's important because it was something that people