P33, 2a: Why do people join groups?
Because people join groups to satisfy many of their needs, such as a school which will
gives you an education, family which provides physical and emotional needs, and
church which makes you feel sense of belon
CHAPTE 6 The Bill of Rights
1. What was the main argument in favor of the Bill of Rights?
CORRECT: It would protect citizens from the tyranny of government.
2. Bail is
money given to the courts by an accused person as a pledge to appear at trial.
3. The p
Chapter 2 Section 1: Groups and Institutions
* Participating in a group
Becoming a group member:
Socialization: the process of learning how to participate in a group accepting values
of group and learning rules of behavior.
* Following a groups rules
Chapter 9 Section 1 The Roles of the President
* Creating the Office of President
Executive Branch The branch of government responsible for executing or
carrying out, the law.
Term of Office Four years per term; two term maximum
Limited Power Checks an
Chapter 11-12 Vocabulary
1. public policy: government response to public issues
2. unitary system: in which practically all political power lies with a central
3. apportioned: divided among districts
4. initiative: the process by which citizens
Government Chapter 9-10 Questions:
2a. For how many terms may a President hold office?
3a. What is the military role of the President?
The President is commander in chief of the army and navy of the United States.
4a. What does the Presi
Chapter 19-21 Vocabulary
1. laws: these rules that enforced by governments
2. morals: beliefs about what is fair and what is fair and what is right or wrong
3. civil disobedience: breaking a law in a nonviolent way because it goes against
Chapter 5, Section 3 The Supreme Law of the Land
* The Goals of Our Government
To Form a More Perfect Union unite under and effective national government.
To Establish Justice way to settle disputes between individuals, states, and
between national and
Chapter 19 Section 1 Why We Have Laws
4 major reasons why we have laws
The Need for Order
Laws bring order to society
By telling people what they can and cannot do
Example: Traffic Laws
By set standards in many areas
Laws spell out the way to settle
Chapter 11 Section 1 Federalism: One Nation and Fifty States
* Public Policy
Public Policy Issues
Government response to public issues
Public Policy Choices
Power of the States
Tenth Amendment: gives states all powers not listed in the c