TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 16
Bears do not really . because their heartbeat rate, body
temperature, breathing rate, and blood pressure do not drop
significantly lower than normal, and on mild days in midwinter, a
bear may awaken and come out of the den.
1. My brother _ his dog not to chase sheep.
a. has learned
b. has trained
c. has educated
d. has instructed
e. has informed
2. Is there any _ of your coming to London again in the Spring?
a. opportunity b. occasion c. facility
d. chance e. ability
1. The disease _ widely, all over the country.
c. spread d. spilt
b. succeeded c. obtained
24. I have been looking for this book for months, and _ I have found it.
a. at least b. in time c.
1. Many poets have _ the beauties of the countryside.
b. enthused c. enamored d. appealed e. extolled
2. When the student graduated, he got his _.
b. degree c. license d. certificate
3. She didn't _ doing the was
1. When he was a student, his father gave him a monthly _ towards
a. salary b. permission
c. allowance d. wage e. money
23. The next _ of the committee will take place on Thursday.
a. seating b. group c. collection d. meeting e. gather
1. Although I spoke to him many times, he never took any _.
a. notice b. remark c. warning d. observation e. attention
2. The house was sold for 60000, which was far more than its real _.
3. This morning,
1) Fill in the blanks.
2) Decide whether the statements are true or false, and write T for true- F for false.
In the pre-school years, children develop metalinguistic awareness. (T) (F)
Children cannot develop their range of vocabulary in t
1) Fill in the blanks with given words
Communicative , content based, task based / Cultural, age / monitor model / aptitude /
communicative needs, attitudes
A) _and _differences will determine the most
appropriate ways for the teachers to motivate student
1. The main purpose of the method is to let students use the language
_, increase their _, and learn how to
2. Students decide and _language materials themselves.
3. Teacher is a _. S/he should treat students as wholepersons.
Chapter 6: Imperatives Part 1
Study Guide: Pages 110 - 114
Imperatives are used to convey:
Imperatives have several sentence structures but their grammar is not complex.
However, choosing the right form can be a chall
Study Guide 2
THE MEANINGS of IMPERATIVES
Commands, Orders and Demands
The speaker expects the listener to do what he or she has said. If the listener does not do what the
speaker says, they can expect retaliation or punishment of some kind:
1. He grew very angry when he realized how he had been _ out of his
d. robbed e. stolen
24. This blue door was _ painted green.
2. The cow had l
1. Apart from those three very cold weeks in January, it has been a
23. I should be very _ if you would post this letter for me.
d. pleasing e. thanking
1. Yesterday the pound fell to a _ low level against the dollar,
according to this morning news.
b. major c. record d. remote e. last
26. Could you give me a _? I've forgotten my matches.
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 10
plans will be ruined.
I didn't . the raised paving stone In time, and as a
result, I tripped over it and fell flat on my face!
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 13
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 12
1Everyone was shocked to learn that Jennifer had . her
husband and child to run off with the circus.
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 14
Paul found it much easier to use a pencil for taking notes as he
could . mistakes, which he made plenty of, very easily.
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 11
The old apartheid system of South Africa was based on
. against races and caused black and white people to
have very different standards of living.
1. _ you hurry up, youll miss the bus.
d. Except e. Unless
25. I thought the problem of pollution would _ at the meeting but no
one mentioned it.
a. come in b. come over c. come to d. come up e. come round
2. The man jumped
1. What measures have been _ to control the crowd at Saturday's
d. described e. taken
2. He left in such a hurry that I_ had time to thank him.
c. nearly d. scarcely
3. He gave
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 17
The murderer obviously had no feelings for his victims. He was a
cold-blooded killer, who was . of emotions.
The ice-dancers scored a perfec
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 18
Jenny is tall, slim and beautiful, but she thinks she's plump and
unattractive. Obviously, she has a rather inaccurate . of
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY 15
I feel like staying home and I have no . to go to the party
tonight, but I feel I ought to.
M.A English Study Material
Prepared by: Atta Ur Rahman Jadoon
M.A English Study Material
The Nature of Language and Linguistics
Language is Almighty Allahs special gift to mankind. Without language human
BEOWULF (In Modern English)
Long ago, the Spear-Danes and their kings were a mighty people. We have all heard
about their power and glory. We have heard of Scyld Scefing, who destroyed his enemies and
their drinking halls. Though he was an orphan, he rose
CHAPTER 10 LANGUAGE PROCESSING in the HUMAN BRAIN
s the area of linguistics that is concerned with linguistic performance
how we use our linguistic competence.
n speech (or sign) production and comprehension.
The human brain not only
CHAPTER 15: ACQUIRING FIRST AND SECOND LANGUAGES
What is Language Acquisition ?
Language acquisition is the process by which humans acquire the ability to
- And perceive language !
Involves the acquisition of all functional aspects of the
HERE IS THE WIFE FROM THE CITY OF BATHS TALE.
Back in the olden days, many hundreds of years ago when King Arthur ruled the land,
England was still a country of magic. I read that they believed that there were elves and fairies
and the like, and that the