Probability for Continuous Random Variables
X is called a continuous random variable if the possible values of X consist of all the real
numbers on some interval of the real numbers.
In this case, X has a probability density function (often denoted pdf) o
Solution to Practice Exam 1
1. A (Note: C is not right because average deviations is zero.)
(1) The interval is (mean-2sd, mean+2sd), i.e., (100-2x16, 100+2x16)= (68, 132).
(2) Check to see how many standard deviations is 143 away from the mean.
Stat 490 Practice Exam 2
1. The speeds, in miles per hour, of a random sample of 36 cars traveling on a specific residential street were (ordered for
28, 28, 29, 29, 30, 30, 31, 31, 32, 32, 33, 33, 34, 35, 35, 36, 36, 37, 38, 38, 38, 39, 39,
Stat 490 Practice Exam 1
1. For any data set, the sample standard deviation is:
A measure of the spread or variability of the data.
A measure of central tendency.
The average of the deviations.
The average of the sample mean and quartiles.
Stat 490 Exam 1
Exam time: 10:30 11:20am 02/12/2015 Weber 123.
Submit your answers through Kstate online under assignment
Please include your R code and R output along with your answer.
1. A sample of 25 randomly selected cars passing a bridge gives sampl
Notes on summary statistics
Presume that we have a set of values (numbers) that have been collected. The set represents
some information wed like to consolidate (summarize). Summary statistics attempt to do that.
They tend to be categorized into at least
Probabilities, Expected Values for Discrete Random Variables
X is called a discrete random variable if the possible values of X consist only of a finite or
countable number of possible values. Generally, this means that X is a variable that is arrived at
What is probability what does it represent?
Why is the study of probability important (I thought this was a statistics class!?!)
Some terms: sample space, outcome, event
How do we represent it symbolically? P[A] what does that mean?
Homework #1 Summary Statistics, Discrete Random Variables, Probability
Due Thursday, February 2, 2012
A data set was mentioned in class, which was the number of points scored in each of the 34
games played by the K-State mens basketball team in 2010-20