O N E
ANSWERS TO REVIEW QUESTIONS
1. Guided missiles, automatic gain control in radio receivers, satellite tracking antenna
2. Yes - power gain, remote control, parameter conversion; No - Expense, complexity
3. Motor, low pass filter, inertia
FORCE VECTORS, VECTOR OPERATIONS &
ADDITION OF FORCES 2D & 3D
1. Resolve a 2-D vector into components.
2. Add 2-D vectors using Cartesian vector notations.
3. Represent a 3-D vector in a Cartesian coordinate system.
4. Find the magnitude
ENGR 220 Final Exam
June 8th , 2009
The A-36 steel pipe has an outer radius of 20 mm and an inner radius of 15 mm. If it fits snugly
between the fixed walls before it is loaded, determine the reactions at the walls when it is
subjected to the load show
June 5, 2007
1. A pipe with a wall thickness of 0.25 inches is used as a structural member. Determine the diameter of
the pipe to the nearest whole inch for a maximum bending moment of 5000 ft lb with a safety factor of
2.5. Assume tha
Engr 225 Exam 04
1. The offset link has a width of w = 200 mm and a thickness of 40 mm. If the allowable normal
stress is 75 MPa, determine the maximum load P that can be applied to the cables. (10 points)
2. For the given state of stress, draw a Mohrs ci
Engr 225 Exam # 03
1. Draw the Shear force diagram and Bending Moment diagram for the beam shown below.
What is the maximum bending stress for this beam? Sketch the bending stress variation at this
cross section. The beam is made of wood with a
ENGR 220 Final Exam
June 8th , 2009
Total points 50.
Answer any five out of the following. Sixth question will be a bonus worth 10 points.
The rigid beam CB is supported by a pin at C and an A-36 steel guy wire AB. The wire has a
diameter of 0.2 inches
ENGR 220 Exam # 3
May 19, 2009
A solid shaft with a circular cross section is subjected to concentrated forces as shown below. The
sleeve bearings support only vertical forces.
(a) Sketch the shear force and Bending moment diagram for the shaft. ( 5 po
June 4, 2007
1. A wooden bow that is made from a circular rod 0.5 in diameter is strung with a nylon
bow string. The distance between the string and center of the bow is 6 inches and
the applied force is 100 lb. Assume that the bow is lon
Exam # 02 Spring 2011
1. The two circular rod segments, one of Aluminum and the other of copper are fixed to rigid walls
such that there is a gap of 0.008 inch between them when temperature is 60 F. Each rod has a
diameter of 1.25 inches.
May 2, 2006
The following aluminum plate is subjected to an axial force P = 3500 lbs. Determine if the
plate will exceed the allowable stress of 10 ksi. Justify your answer.
The steel drive shaft for the Power Take Off (PTO) of a tr
Exam # 2
A steel tape used by Surveyors has a rectangular cross section of 0.05 inch by 0.2 inch. At 60 F
and when tension (pull) on the tape is 0 lb, it is 100 feet long.
Two surveyors working on a hot summer day, apply a pull of 15 lb to the
April 13, 2006
A tension test was performed on a steel sample specimen having an original diameter of
11.284mm and a gauge length of 50 mm.
a. Using the data listed in the table, plot the stress-strain diagram using a scale of 1 =
April 12, 2011
If the bar assembly is made of a material having yield stress of 50 ksi, determine the minimum
required dimensions h1 and h2 to the nearest 1/8th inch. Apply a factor of safety 1.5 against
yielding. Each bar has a thickn
April 19, 2007
The stress-strain diagram for a steel rod is shown in the figure below.
a. Determine the elongated length (length when under tension) of a 10 cm rod with 2 cm
diameter when it is used to lift a 5000 kg weight. (5 Points)
5053 @8329 0293.3 9m 3mx_3c3 mrmmq
36$ 5 Sm cmmB : : wm mcgmoma 8 mm3mm 9
< $m§ am $33. §MWE m iiéii» ¢
\ rmnEqm mmeEm .25 583 .m Smam :03 2,5 somam
Emmzma 893:2 2: