Chapter 4 Review
1. Briefly describe the challenges a food and beverage director faces on a daily
A challenge a food and beverage director faces on a daily basis is the
hotel places great emphasis on making food and beverage sales
Chapter 11 Review
1. Briefly describe the history of legalized gaming in the United States.
Gambling is among the oldest human behaviors; archaeological
evidence of gambling stretches back into prehistory, and purpose-built
dice have been discovered at s
Chapter 9 Review
1. Give a broad definition of tourism and explain why people are motivated to
Tourism is a dynamic, evolving, consumer-driven force and is the
worlds largest industry, or collection of industries, when all its
Chapter 7 Review
1. Briefly describe the two components of restaurant forecasting.
Restaurant forecasting has two components: guest counts and the
average guest check. Guest counts, or covers, are the number of guests
patronizing the restaurant over a gi
Chapter 8 Review
1. What are managed services operations?
Companies and organizations such as educational or health care
organizations decide if they want to operate their foodservice
operations and related operations themselves or whether they want to
Chapter 6 Review Questions
1. Describe the evolution of American culinary arts.
North America gained most of its culinary legacy from France. Two
main events responsible for our culinary legacy coming from France
were the French Revolution in 1793 and Th
Chapter 10 Review
1. Define recreation and its importance to human wellness. What factors affect
an individuals decision to participate in recreational activities?
Recreation is an integral part of our nations total social, economic,
and natural resource
Chapter 3 Review
1. Briefly define the purpose of a hotel. Why is it important to empathize with
the culture of guests?
The primary purpose of a hotel is to provide lodging accommodations.
Providing service to guest and generating profit for o
Chapter 1 Review Questions
1. Why is service so critical in the hospitality and tourism industry?
The service industry very critical to the hospitality and tourism
industry because guest expectations increase and the realization is
that we buy
Chapter 2 Review
1. What are the advantages of management contracts and franchising? Discuss
their impacts on the development of the hotel industry.
The advantages of franchising is that an established company is
able to expand rapidly using o
Chapter 5 Review
1. What is the difference between fortified and aromatic wines? In what
combinations is it suggested to serve food and wine and why?
Fortified and aromatic wines are completely different. Fortified wines
have brandy or wine alcohol added