Branches of Earth Science
a. Is the scientific study of the origin, history and structure
of Earth and the processes that shape Earth?
a. Is the scientific study of the ocean, including the
properties and movements of ocean wate
Formation of the Planets
1. The protoplanets that formed Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and
Neptune formed far from the sun and threefold it is cold.
2. They did not lose their lighter elements such as helium and
hydrogen or their ices, such as ice and etc.
1. Ecology is the study of the complex relationships between
living things (biotic) and their nonliving (abiotic)
2. What is an ecosystem?
a. Is the community of organisms and the environment
b. It can be big or small
Chapter 2 Earth as a System / 2.1 Earth: A unique Planet
Earth is the third planet from the sun.
It is the only planet to have liquid water on the surface and possess
an atmosphere with a large percentage of oxygen
Its also the only planet known to suppor
Planets of the Solar System
Formation of the Solar System
1. The solar system consists of the sun and all of the planets and
other bodies that revolve around the sun
2. Planets are any of the primary bodies that orbit the sun.
3. Who are Pierre Simon and
The Revolving Earth
An ellipse is a closed curve whose shape is determined
by two points, or foci, within the ellipse.
In planetary orbits, one focus is located within the sun.
Earths orbit around the sun is an ellipse.
Because its orbit is an ellipse, Ea
Characteristics of Stars
1. What is a star?
a. Star is a large celestial body that is composed of gas
and that emits light.
2. What is Nuclear Fusion?
a. Nuclear fusion is the combination of light atomic
nuclei to form heavier atomic nuclei.
Types of Maps
1. Maps can also be used to show elevation, locations, boarders,
and other surface features.
2. A variety of maps that show a number of characteristics of an
a. Types of rocks
b. Differences in air pressure
c. Depth of ground water
1. Earths axis is titled at 23.5 degree.
2. The Earths axis always points toward the North Star.
3. The North Pole sometimes tilts toward the sun an sometimes
tilts away from the sun.
4. The northern hemisphere has longer periods of daylight t
The Scientific Study of Earth
1. Earth Science is the study of Earth and the universe around
2. Scientific study of the Earth began, as with any scientific
investigation, with observations.
3. Chinese scientists began keeping records of earthquakes as