1.Explain how a resort moves through various pre opening activities to its grand opening
The day the resort's door is first opened to the public is a ;long awaiting moment before that is endless
meeting,endless studies,negotiation with inves
1.Identify the various stakeholders in a proposed resort development and outline how their perspectives
generally differ. 71 72
-Development of new resort destination=meets many economical,social, environmental challenges and constrains
1.Describe the purpose and organization of the engineering and maintenance department
POM-property operation and maintenance
If its building and equipment poorly maintained,resort will loose market share
Most properties wil
Summarize the fundamentals of resort marketing,including SWOT analysis and resort mission
The marketing of resort is defferent from the marketing of classic hotels.
Marketing is defined as "the activity set of in
1. Explain why food and beverage facilities are critical to resorts and identify factors that
affect a resort's food and beverage choices.
Heart of the house departments and functions support the front of the house operation
1.Explain how resort are typically organized 293
three or four major operating subsystem:
front of the house, heart of the house, outdoor operations, and depending on resort,condominium,
and time share.
Ideal models may exist with respect to
In many places the development of tourism as an economic sector is tied to destination and resort
development. Destination and resort are often developed concurrently as parallel creations.
Any lodging institution can pr
1.managing resort / financial resources
Operating agreement-when investor or owner does not run the property but hires a qualified operator to
run the operation.
The owner is still responsible for investment risk and for co
1. Identify and discuss several general factors that affect the planning and design of resort facilities.
Every type of lodging category has its own design and space requirements geared to its guests needs.
- Classic Hotel- for the shorter s
Discuss the essential role of security at resort
-term travel came from middle english word travailen,denoting work of painful or laborious nature
crossing long distance,
The essential role of security at resort
1. Identify factors that affect how a sports and recreation mix is chosen.(181-183)
No characteristics defines a resort more than its recreational offerings.
Throughout the years, vacationers around the world have looked to resorts for their
Course and Instructor: Resort planning/ Terry Hunter
1.Outline the size and scope of the tourism and lodging industry 3-4
-resorts in all their forms serve a growing tourism marketplace
-segmentation by market value: asia-pac
1.Describe the role that developers often play in the creation of new resorts and what they expect in
return for their efforts 109
-in open economies, a private developer (person or a company) often undertakes the initial risks and work of
Assignment Due: 9/14/10
1.Describe the origins and development of European and Asians resorts
Romans were probably the first to build the hotels for recreation purpose
-they start to build them around public baths
-located in Rome or near by
1. What are the six items defined and assessed in a business plan?
- product and services
- market study and analysis
- sales forecasts and expense budgets
- equipment requirements
- cash flow and financing requirements
2. Under what conditi
2.What is a 10-K report-the official annual business and financial report filed by public companies with the Securities and
Exchange Commission; also called a Form 10-K report
4Accrual accounting-an accounting method that adjusts the accounting records by
Basic Hotel and Restaurant Accounting - FINAL
EXAM REVIEW NOTES
10-K Report, requirements for filing
Accounting entries necessary for Food Sales made for
Accrual Accounting - basic definition
Advance Deposits - where account listed on B
1. What is a budget, and what advantages does budgeting offer?
- budget a financial plan covering areas such as sales and expenses
- budgets cover many areas of concern to managers, such as forecasting sales, controlling future
expenses, and planning for
1. What items are included in the term cash?
- cash, personal checks, money orders, and traveler's checks
2. What is definition of internal control, and what are its objectives?
- internal control is a system designed to accomplish four major objectives;
1. What is the disadvantage to an Internet retail operation of not accepting credit cards?
- if a business decides not to accept credit cards, it may lose some consumers forever; while the
cost of the business of accepting and processing credit cards is a
1. What types of annual reports does the SEC require?
- 10 K report (also referred to as the FORM 10-K report), which is filed with the SEC, and the
company's annual report to shareholders; understanding the annual report to shareholders
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a computerized accounting system?
The computer has become an integral tool in managing a hospitality business because it
can process data quickly, accurately, and efficiently
speed a computer c
1. What is the definition of each of the following?
a. Operated department a revenue center owned and operated by a hotel
b. Undistributed operating expense expenses not easily identified with any specific
c. Support center a departmen
1. What specific items might be in the notes to the financial statements?
- Accounting policies
- Depreciation methods
- Inventory accounting methods
- Leases (terms and conditions)
- Pending lawsuit (contingent liability)
- Procedures for computing incom
1. What items are included in food sales?
- food sales include the sales of food, coffee, tea, milk, and fruit juices; sales of soft drinks are
included in food sales if there is no service of liquor, beer, and wine; sales taxes are not part of
1. What is the accounting cycle?
- accounting cycle the sequence of accounting procedures during an accounting period; it is a
continuing process of recording and reporting financial information;
2. What are cash basis accounting and accrual basis account
1. How is the Revenue classification defined?
- a classification that includes sales and might also include interest income and dividend income
- a sale is recognized and recorded in the accounting records at the time services are rendered or
when the goo
1. How are the following classifications of bookkeeping accounts defined?
a. Assets what a company owns;
- are items owned by the business that have a commercial or exchange value and are
expected to provide a future use or benefit to the business
1. What is the fundamental purpose of accounting?
- to provide accurate, useful, and timely financial information
- its function is to provide quantitative information, primarily financial in nature, about economic
entities that is intended to be useful i
1. What is the most significant advantage of a proprietorship?
- One of the biggest advantages of a proprietorship is that setting up and administering the
business is comparatively easy and inexpensive
- A significant advantage of this unincorporated for