1. A piece of metal receives a negative charge, does it gain mass, lose mass or stay the
same mass? Why?
2. Two neutral metal spheres are touching. A positively charged plastic rod is brought
near, but does not touch the left s
Physics 221 Spring 2013
Questions 1-7 use the following scenario:
A bunch of bananas is oscillating on a spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m. The equations of motion for the
y = 0.25m sin (6.45 t) v = 1.61m/s cos (6.45 t)
Physics 221 Spring 2012
This is the 2012 exam 1. Problem 2 will not be asked this year. The quizzes and workbooks in combination
with the problems below should serve as adequate practice for the problems on the Exam. Also be sure to
1. Compare and Contrast the Doppler Effect and a Sonic Boom.
a. Do the actual sounds heard have something in common? Specifically explain what we perceive
in each case and how these are different or similar.
1. Bob has a near point of 12 cm and a far point of 60 cm.
a. Is he farsighted or near sighted, why?
b. Does he need a converging or a diverging lens, why?
c. Determine his prescription for corrective lenses.
2. When wearing th
1. A capacitor has an electric field of 4.0 x 105 V/m between the plates. If the plates have
an area of 2 x 10-4 m2 and are separated by 5 mm, find
a. The energy stored between the plates.
b. If a proton is placed 1 mm from th
Use the scantron answer sheet for questions 1-19 (3 points each)
1. There is a smiley face 20 cm in front of a flat mirror. Which point is closest to the location of the
image of the smiley face?
C The image will be the same dis
1. Light of 550 nm is shone through two narrowly spaced slits 0.044 mm apart. The slits are placed
0.96 meters from a wall. If the space between the central maximum and the first bright line is
1.2 cm, determine the path differe
1. In the following diagram, M is a plane mirror; B is a very small bright light bulb that can be
treated as a point source of light; and H is an opaque housing that does not transmit light. An
observer can stand anywhere along a
A 5.2 nC charge is placed at -2.00 m on the y-axis and a 10.4 nC charge is placed at 3.00 m on
1. Determine the value of the electric field at the point 0.50 m on the y axis.
2. Draw the electric field lines for thi
Physics 221 Spring 2013
1) What makes sound?
a) Something vibrating
b) Sound Waves
c) Two objects moving in the same direction
d) Two objects moving towards one another
2) When you talk, sound travels through the air as