1. Free ribosomes are suspended in the cytosol.
Bound ribosomes are attached to the outside of the endoplasmic reticulum or nuclear
Protein functions in free ribosomes:
- cytosol(enzyme), cytoskeleton
Protein functions i
Bound ribosomes generally make proteins that are destined for insertion into
Chapter 5 concept5.1-5.2
1. selective permeability : allow some substance to cross it more easily than
others due to properties of the membranes and the molecules/ion
2. aquaporin function: transport protein that enable water molecule to pass
1. Magnification &resolving power
Magnification: the ratio of an objects image size to its real size
Resolution: a measure of the clarity of the image; it is the minimum distance two
points can be separated and still be distinguished as sepa
Lipids are hydrophobic, because their molecule structure. Although they may
have some polar bonds associated with oxygen, lipids consist hydrocarbon
Triglyceride: glycerol+3 fatty acid (important energy source)
Chapter 3 Organic Chemistry Review
Carbon atoms can form diverse molecules by bonding to four other atoms.( electron
configuration determines the kinds and number of bonds an atom will form with other
atoms, and it is the source of carbons versatility
3.6 Nucleic Acids
DNA stores hereditary information
RNA has various functions in gene expression, including carrying instructions
from DNA to ribosomes.
Difference in the structure of DNA&RNA
Sugar: in DNA the sugar is deoxyribose and in RNA it is ribose.
19. Mitochondria and chloroplast
In eukaryotic cells, mitochondria and chloroplasts are the organelles that convert
energy to forms that cells can use for work.
20.the structure of a mitochondrion
the sites of cellular respiration, the metabolic proce
12. List the three main kinds of cellular work. Explain in general terms how
cells obtain the energy to do cellular work.
* Chemical work. Pushing of endergonic reation(+delataG; nonspontaneous)
ex:synthesis polymer from monomer.
*Transport work. The
16. Describe the function of enzymes in biological systems.
Enzymes are usually proteins, it speed up the rate of a reaction by lowering
activation energy required without themselves being altered or used up.
17. Explain why an investment of a