The Dome of Rock
one of the earliest surviving buildings from the Islamic world
This remarkable building is not a mosque, as is commonly assumed and scholars still
debate its original function and meaning
one of the first Islamic buildings ever constructe
Church of Saint-Foy 10501130 C.E.
Located in Conques, France
an important pilgrimage church on the route to Santiago de Compostela in Northern
also an abbey, meaning that the church was part of a monastery where monks lived,
prayed and worked
1. 1st movement of Eroica is about life, 2nd movement is about death, 3rd movement is
about the future, and the 4th movement is the show off piece. Yes I think the music in
the movements represent these meanings.
2. He was a lot different from others
1. The inspiration for this piece of Mendelssohns music is a cavern known as Fingals Cave on
Staffia. The cave is a common romantic era piece located off the coast of Scotland.
2. He hoped to embody the types of the art, landscape and the life of the
1. Yes, my improvisation was inspired by the original recording of Yankee Doodle. The melody is the
same but I did make it a little different in the end. My tempo was a little slower too. I did it on
the piano but with a harp sound to make it sound v
1. Syncopation is placing emphasis on beats that are unexpected or not having emphasis on
beats that are expected.
2. Ragtime is a musical genre that developed in the late nineteenth century. Its related to jazz
because it combined the music of march
1. Nationalism is pride and connection to one particular group. Composers would use
elements in the music that were related to their national heritages. Operas would relate to
the histories of some ethnic groups or some nations.
2. Chromaticism is th
1. Some cities jazz developed were New Orleans, Kansas City, New York and Chicago. These cities
became important sites for jazz because of the large population in these cities and because of
the big city life there.
2. Hard bop is jazz that is an ext