Chapter 9 Homework
3) What is the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?
In people who have type 1 diabetes they are unable to produce insulin which regulates blood
sugar. People with type 2 diabetes are insensitive to insulin. Which means their b
Chapter 4 Homework
1) Why might a chemist or biologist call water the single most critical chemical to life?
Water is called the single most important chemical to life because all life on this planet needs
water in some way. Cells use water to as a substr
Chapter 5 Homework
1) In what ways does hydrogen act like a group 1 element? Like a group 7 element? How should it be
grouped on the periodic table?
Hydrogen can give up an electron and bond to another nonmetal through a covalent bond.
When hydrogen acts
Chapter 2 Homework
4) What causes mountain climbers to experience paradoxical respirations when sleeping at altitude?
The body will try and hyperventilate to gain enough oxygen in the blood stream in doing so
however we lose too much CO2 and our bloods ac
Chapter 3 Homework
1) Given that most of the elements on the periodic table dont show up in living cells to any
significant degree, where on Earth are they found? Pick three elements, do a little Internet
research and find out where they are commonly foun
Chapter 6 Homework
1) Why do you suppose most tents have a label printed inside that warns occupants not to use a stove in
When stove is used inside a tent harmful pollutants are being released by the stove but they
have no place to escape. This
1. Polymers can be characterized as crystalline (the
molecules are packed closely and arranged very regularly) or
amorphous (the molecules tend to be arranged more
randomly and packed less closely. Crystalline polymers tend to
Molecular Models II Worksheet
As you complete this worksheet, use conventions for wedge-dash perspective
1. Build a balloon model of the molecule below, using a different color balloon to
represent each substituent atom attached to carbo
CHM 108 Library Lab Exercise
1. Website Evaluation
From the LibGuide for CHM 108, use the links in the Website Evaluation box to complete this section.
Take a look at the websites and evaluate the information presented. While you are evaluating the
Chapter 8 Homework
2) Think of an example of a process (chemical or otherwise) that involves at least three energy
conversions/transfers. Describe and explain.
Dropping a box on a spoon is an example of a process in which three energy