4C Conference 1
A little bit of a math review. We are mostly going to work with radians rather
than degrees. Some terminology: for a function like y() = ym sin (), ym is called
the Amplitude, and the argument of the sine function, , is called the Phase.
4C Conference 12
1. The ideal gas in a constant-volume thermometer has been in thermal contact for a long
time with water at the triple point, T3 = 273.16 K, and the absolute pressure of the gas is
measured at 55.78 kPa. The thermometer is then imme
4C Conference 11
1. Find the slit separation of a double-slit arrangement that will produce interference fringes
0.018 rad apart on a distant screen when the light has wavelength = 589 nm.
2. Plane waves of two dierent frequencies, fA and fB , illum
4C Conference 9
1. Consider a concave mirror with curvature R. An ant of height h walks towards the mirror
along the optical axis at speed v.
(a) When the ants location is 2R from the mirror, where is the image of the ant?
(b) Is the image real or virtual
4C Conference 10
1. A real inverted image I of an object O is formed by a certain unknown thin lens. The object
- image separation is d = 40.0 cm, measured along the central axis of the lens. The image is
just half the size of the object.
(a) What k
4C Conference 8
1. An object is placed between two perpendicular plane mirrors. Use ray tracing to determine
(a) How many images can be seen?
(b) If the object is an arrow, describe how the images look compared to the object? Are any
4C Conference 7
1. If the electric eld component of a light ray is given by E(x, y, z, t) = Em sin (kz + t + o )
then what is the expression for the associated magnetic eld component? Write B(x, y, z, t)
in terms of Em , k, , etc., and do not fo
4C Conference 4
1. Calculate the bulk modulus of a gas if the density of the gas is 1.21
through the gas is measured to be 351 m/s.
and the speed of sound
2. A man strikes one end of a thin rod with a hammer. The speed of sound in the rod is 15
4C Conference 5
1. A sound wave has the form s = sm cos (kx t + ) and travels at 343 m/s through the air
in a long horizontal tube. At one instant, air molecule A at x = 2.000m is at its maximum
positive displacement of 6.00nm and air molecule B at x = 2.
4C Conference 2
1. A wave traveling in the x-direction is described by y(x, t) = (0.28m) sin (1.8cm1 x 3.2s1 t).
(a) What are the values of k and ?
(b) What is the wavelength of this wave?
(c) What is the amplitude of this wave?
(d) What is the period of
4C Conference 6
1. Take the speed of sound to be 343 m/s. A silent car with a speed of 15.0 m/s is driving down
a road with a tuning fork that vibrates at 256 Hz. There are two listeners: the car is driving
toward listener L1 and away from listener L2 . L
4C Conference 3
1. Hard/Soft Boundary Conditions (bc) for String Waves Consider a horizontal string of
length L xed at one end (the Hard bc) but completely free to move in the vertical direction
without friction at the other end (the Soft bc). The rst har
4C Conference 13
1. The gure here represents a closed cycle for a gas. The change in the internal energy of the
gas as it is transformed from a to c along the path abc is -200 J. As the gas changes from c
to d, 180 J must be transfered to