Lesson 6: Chapters 7 & 8
1. Define social stratification and explain why it is of sociological
2. Identify the features of caste systems. Give examples of different
3. List the characteristics of a class system and contrast its featu
FILL THIS FORM OUT AND DO THE PAPER ACCORDING TO IT
1. Intro ( consist 2 pages)
- changes in society change what constitutes a cruel and unusual punishment
2. Brief Historical background
- capital punishment has existed since the beginning of written hist
Cruel and unusual punishment
Such punishment as would amount to torture or barbarity, any cruel and degrading punishment
not known to the Common Law, or any fine, penalty, confinement, or treatment that is so
disproportionate to the offense as to shock th
Lesson 9: Chapter 12
1. Explain why it is difficult to define the term "family," including the
different ways in which family systems can be classified.
2. Identify the common cultural themes that run through marriage and the
3. Contrast the funct
Lesson 7: Chapters 9 & 10
1. Explain how race can be both a reality and a myth. Distinguish between
the concepts of race and ethnicity.
2. Define the term "minority group," explain the process by which a group
becomes a minority, and identify five charact
Lesson 4: Chapter 5
1. Define group and describe the characteristics of primary and
group: people who have something in common and who believe that what they have
in common is significant; also called a social group
secondary group: comp
Lesson 10: Chapter 14
1. Discuss the Malthus theorem and identify key issues in the debate
between New Malthusians and Anti-Malthusians regarding the specter of
2. Explain why there is starvation around the world.
3. Explain why people in
Lesson 5: Chapter 6
1. Explain what sociologists mean when they say that "Deviance is
2. Compare and contrast the functionalist and the conflict views on
3. Explain the importance of norms and the need for a system of
Lesson 11: Chapter 15
1. Describe and discuss the four social revolutions and the changes
associated with each.
2. Define the "Group of 7" (G7), and describe its origin, purpose, and
growing concern with ethnic warfare.
3. Describe the three processes of
Lesson 8: Chapters 11 & 13
1. Distinguish between power, authority, and coercion.
2. Explain why charismatic authority is inherently unstable and discuss two
solutions for its orderly transfer of authority.
3. Differentiate among monarchies, democracies,
Lesson 3: Chapter 3
1. Recognize the roles that both nature and nurture play in social
In the "nature v. nurture" controversy, which of the following terms least
applies to nurture?
2. Define socialization.
socialization: the proc
Lesson 2: Chapter 2
#1 Define culture and explain its material and nonmaterial
culture: the language, beliefs, values, norms, behaviors, and even material
objects that are passed from one generation to the next
material culture: the ma
All Practice Quizzes and Answers
The use of the scientific method to examine the social world was first suggested by Auguste
Q:A[n] _ designates social position while a[n] _ designates socially expected
A: status; role