Study Problems for Exam 2
Topic: Origin of Eukaryotes
1. Sketch a cyanobacterium. Point out similarities and differences between a
cyanobacterium and a plant cell.
2. Describe the present-day importance of cyanobacteria
3. Diagram the endosymbiontic theor
Topic: Non-vascular Plants
1. Explain why the oldest fossils of plants like spores, tracheids and cuticles were preserved while
other parts were not.
2. Why did plants but not algae evolve (a) cuticle, (b) stomata, (c) lignin, (d) xylem, (e) roots?
Bio-1B Study Questions for Exam-1
1. State the two points Darwin made in The Origin of species concerning the Earth's
2. Explain the term Natural Selection.
3. Distinguish between evolution and Natural Selection
4. Explain why the popula