1. An early attempt by Cohn at bacterial classification grouped bacteria according to
B. Gram stain.
2. In 1908 Orla-Jensen suggested that bacteria be grouped according to their
1. Experiments designed by _ suggested that living cells caused the
fermentation of sugar to produce alcohol.
2. Studies done by Buchner showed that ground-up yeast cells were able to convert
1. The phrase "one gene-one enzyme" is associated with the work of
B. Watson and Crick.
C. Beadle and Tatum.
2. The two strands of DNA are bonded to one another by
A. covalent bonds.
B. oxygen bonds.
C. hydrogen bon
Extra Credit- Microbiology
The name of this presentation was Lifestyle Changes in the Intracellular
Pathogen Legionella Pneumophila by Shira Ninio. Legionella pneumophila evolved
to survive in eukaryotic cells. They can be grown on plates in
HISTORY OF MICROORGANISMS
Spontaneous Generation vs Biogenesis, 1700s
Spontaneous Generation - Organisms arose from non living matter, vital force
Maggots arose spontaneously from rotting meat
John Needham - Shows boiled broth in a sealed flask grows ri
Bacteria, archae, viruses, eukaryotes, prions
Living microorganisms = micro organisms
Non living = microbes
Most not human pathogens
Many beneficial i.e. food products, shaping enviro
Antibiotics for bacterial infections vs virus
Testing cytokin read out
1. In addition to investigations with bacteria that led to him being considered the Father
of Microbiology, Pasteur also
A. found that some molecules can exist as stereoisomers.
B. created aspartame.
C. separated organic acids using a micro
1. The properties of a cell which are determined by its DNA composition are its
2. The source of variation among microorganisms that were once identical is
A. antibiotic resistance.
1. The scientist usually considered the first to see microorganisms, which he called
B. van Leeuwenhoek
2. The word "Animalcule" was coined by
B. van Leeuwenhoek.
1. Lister developed his ideas on prevention of infection during medical procedures after
studying the work of
One of the first chemicals used by Lister to prevent surgical infection
1. Eukaryotic cells are
A. less complex than prokaryotic cells.
B. members of the domains Bacteria and Archaea.
C. defined by the presence of a membrane bound nucleus.
D. able to reproduce more rapidly than prokaryotes.
E. less complex than
1. All the bacterial cells that result from the replication of a single original bacterial
organism are said to be a
B. pure culture.
C. lag culture.
D. mutant culture.
2. The scientist that contributed most to the developmen
Title: Lifestyle Changes in the Intracellular Pathogen Legionella pneumophila
Speaker: Shira Ninio
Legionella pneumophila was discovered in Pennsylvania in 1976 after a convention in
Philadelphia where many people died. In the en