LAB ASSIGNMENT #8
Streptomyces species evolve toxins against other bacteria because of competition
whereby the species began forming spores in harsh conditions.
2. The antibiotic production cause the cell to kill off its competition for the remaining
LAB ASSIGNMENT #10
1. What are the advantages to a microbe of having inducible enzymes?
The advantage of the inducible enzyme is that it is an enzyme synthesize only when
a substrate on which it can act is present. It is not regularly produced
Assignment - Week #14
INTERNET SEARCH PROJECT ORGANISMS
In the two articles that were read, Staphylococcus was described as a pathogen
threatening the health of humans. The first article stated that a strand of the Staph called
LAB ASSIGNMENT #9
Psychrophiles can cause food spoilage. Since they can live in cold environments such as
refrigerator where food are normally preserved, they can potentially cause spoilage to those
2. Proteins that are heat-sensitive will most l
LAB ASSIGNMENT #11
1. Describe the general appearance of the of the colonies on the YEM and Azobacter plates.
Due to experimental error it was no possible to see the results of the colonies in
both the YEM and the Azobacter plates.
LAB ASSIGNMENT #4
Bacillus C. has endospores, whereas the Serratia M. has none. Comparing the Bacillus C.
exposed to UV light vs. the one in darkness, the plates that were in the dark had more growth.
The same applied to Serratia M. The plates that were e
LAB ASSIGNMENT #2
Evaluation of Week 1 Experiments (Pg 22)
1. The colonies grew. The 60 min plate had a lot of colonies growing. The size of the colonies
grew exceedingly bigger than they were last week.
2. Formites are inanimate objects or substances cap
LAB ASSIGNMENT #1
Isolation of bacteria from the environment (Pg 15)
1. The covered control plate is used as an instrument for comparison. Its purpose is to compare
what the agar plate looks like with or without the presence of growth.
Some colonies may h
LAB ASSIGNMENT #3
1. No, the direct and viable counts of the yeast suspension do not agree. This might be as a result of
my initial cell count. In the first cell count, all visible cells were counted. Thus dead and live
cells were both counted. Since, dea
LAB ASSIGNMENT #12
1. What is the function of calcium carbonate added to agar?
The calcium carbonate aids in the neutralization or the lowering of large
amounts of lactic acid.
2. Record your the observations for the organisms examined for fer
Midterm Study Guide
-Serial dilution and cell enumeration (direct and viable counts)
-viable count/spread plate will be graded for accuracy of predicted # of colonies, sterile
technique, and labeling
-Streak plate- will be graded for presence o
Plate tests: know all reagents present in each type of plate and their function
Carbohydrate fermentation (Lactose)
Several selective and/or differential agars can be used to determine whether an organism is
able to ferme
Quiz 2 Study Guide
Optimum Growth Temperature
Be able to list and define groups of bacteria based on preferred temperature range.
Psychrophiles: -5C to 15C
Psychrotroph: 20C to 30C
Mesophile: 25C to 45C
Thermophile: 45C to 70C
Hyperthermophile: 70C or gre
URBAN MICROBIOME PAPER
The urban is made up of five diverse assemblages of residents and transient microbes that
inhabit the city (Alberti, 2014). There are many areas that microbes can be found such as the
atmosphere, in vegetation, open ground,