CD/PSY 306 Adolescence
Study Guide Exam #2
Understand gender roles in traditional cultures
Understand process of differential gender socialization across childhood/adolescence
Understand cognitive-developmental theory
CD/PSY 306 Adolescence
Study Guide for Exam 1
Here is a study guide to assist you with studying for Exam 1. You are responsible for all material
covered in class and in the assigned readings. Good luck! J
Understand cultural approach t
A coil is rotated in a magnetic field about an axis perpendicular to the field. During each
rotation, how many times does the flux through the coil equal zero?
E. more than 4
Giambattista - Chapter 20 #18
Section: 20.3 Faradays Law
An electric field perpendicular to a magnetic field is used as a velocity selector for Li+ ions,
selecting the velocity v1. Next, Li+ ions are sent through the same velocity selector, selecting
velocity v2. If neither the electric nor magnetic fields
51. A flashlight, which uses two 1.5 V batteries in series, is turned on for 2.0 minutes. If the current in
the flashlight is 100 mA, what is the energy dissipated?
A. 12 J
B. 9.0 J
C. 72 J
D. 36 J
E. 18 J
52. A good ammeter has _ resistance and a good vo
28. A light ray goes through two thick rectangular slabs of glass, each of the same uniform thickness.
The first slab has index of refraction n1 and the second n2. If n1 < n2. How does the original angle of
incidence i into the first slab compare to the f
60. An ideal diode in an ac circuit
A. doubles the current.
B. halves the current.
C. permits the current to flow in only one direction.
D. permits the current to flow in one direction and double the current to flow in the other.
E. permits the current to
40. If the rms value of the electric field is 9.0 V/m at a distance of 6.0 m from an isotropic source, what
is the rms value of the magnetic field at a distance of 12 m from the source?
A. 3.0 10-8 T
B. 1.5 10-8 T
C. 0.75 10-8 T
D. 0.38 10-8 T
E. 0.19 10-
8. A light ray strikes the surface of sapphire (n = 1.77) at an angle of incidence of 40.0. What angle
of refraction results?
9. A ray of light enters a pane of glass with an angle of incidence of 37. The index of r
A 12.0 V battery is placed across a 4.00 resistor. If the current through the resistor is 2.80 A,
what is the terminal voltage of the battery?
A. 12.0 V
B. 12.8 V
C. 11.6 V
D. 11.2 V
E. 9.6 V
Giambattista - Chapter 18 #22
Section: 18.6 Series and Para
An ideal solenoid has a length of 25 mm. If the windings are compressed so that the length is
reduced to of its original length how does the inductance change?
A. of original
B. to of original
C. twice the original
D. quadruple the original
A cyclotron with a magnetic field of 1.2 T is used to accelerate protons. How long does it take
for the protons to make one complete trip around the cyclotron at a radius of 25 cm?
A. 11 ns
B. 28 ns
C. 32 ns
D. 48 ns
E. 55 ns
Giambattista - Chapter 19
As the ac frequency in an RLC circuit is increased to very high values, which of the
contributions to the impedance dominates?
A. the capacitive reactance
B. the inductive reactance
C. the resistance
D. the combined capacitive reactance and the resist
47. In a series LRC circuit the rms voltage across the resistor is 80.0 V, across the capacitor is 120 V,
and across the inductor is 60.0 V. What is the rms voltage applied to this circuit?
A. 60.0 V
B. 80.0 V
C. 100 V
D. 120 V
E. 140 V
48. A series RLC c
20. A proton is moving at 3.0 106 m/s and experiences a magnetic force of magnitude 2.5 10-16 N.
If the magnetic field makes an angle of 40 with respect to the velocity of the proton, what is the
A. 1.7 10-4 T
B. 3.3 10-4 T
C. 4.1 10-4
29. A 6.0 resistor and a 3.0 resistor are connected in series to a 1.5 V battery of negligible internal
resistance. What is the current in the 3.0 resistor?
A. 2.0 A
B. 0.50 A
C. 0.25 A
D. 0.17 A
E. 0.75 A
30. A 6.0 resistor and a 3.0 resistor are connect
49. What electric field has the same energy density as a 1.0 T magnetic field?
A. 1.0 V/m
B. 3.0 108 V/m
C. 9.0 1016 V/m
D. 1.1 10-17 V/m
E. 3.3 10-9 V/m
50. A solenoid of length 2.8 cm and diameter 0.75 cm is wound with 160 turns per cm. When the
What is the peak (maximum) power dissipated by a 150 W light bulb attached to a 120 V rms ac
A. 301 W
B. 212 W
C. 150 W
D. 106 W
E. 75.0 W
Giambattista - Chapter 21 #9
Section: 21.2 Electricity in the Home
Two 100 W bulbs differ in that one i
32. A flat conductor of thickness 0.500 mm is placed in a magnetic field of 0.200 T perpendicular to the
flat surface. If there are 8.00 1024 charge carriers (i.e., electrons) per m3, what is the Hall voltage
generated when 3.40 A flows along the conducto
An ac circuit has a 20 F capacitor, an 80 mH inductor, and a 60 resistor in series. If the
voltage source has an angular frequency of 1000 rad/s, what is the phase constant for the
Giambattista - Chapter 21 #31
After the switch is closed in a series LR circuit, what is the current when a time equal to four
time constants has elapsed?
A. (1/5) Imax
B. (15/16) Imax
C. (1/16) Imax
D. 0.018 Imax
E. 0.98 Imax
Giambattista - Chapter 20 #60
Section: 20.10 LR Circui
25. A circular coil lays flat on a horizontal table in a region where the magnetic field is straight down.
The magnetic field is suddenly removed. When viewed from above, what is the direction of the
current in the coil as the field is removed?
Chapter 21 Summary
# of Questions
Giambattista - Chapter 21
Section: 21.1 Sinusoidal Currents and Voltages
Section: 21.2 Electricity in the Home
Section: 21.3 Capacitors in ac Circuits
Section: 21.4 Inductors in ac Circuits
Electromagnetic waves of wavelength 1000 nm are classified as
A. radio waves.
E. gamma rays.
Giambattista - Chapter 22 #4
Section: 22.4 The Electromagnetic Spectrum
An electromagnetic wave with a wave length ab
41. A 6.0 cm tall object is placed 20 cm in front of a convex mirror with focal -100 cm focal length.
Where is the image formed?
A. 80 cm behind the mirror
B. 25 cm behind the mirror
C. 17 cm behind the mirror
D. 17 cm in front of the mirror
E. 25 cm in f
Light of wavelength 600 nm in air goes into a medium where the index of refraction is 1.73.
What is the frequency of this light in the medium?
A. 5.00 1014 Hz
B. 2.89 1014 Hz
C. 8.65 1014 Hz
D. 3.46 1014 Hz
E. 1.04 1014 Hz
Giambattista - Chapter 22 #1
The magnitude of the magnetic force on a charge depends on
A. the velocity component perpendicular to the magnetic field.
B. the magnitude of the charge.
C. the magnitude of the magnetic field.
D. the sign of the charge.
E. three of the items are corre