Reminder/Introduction to Wave Optics
1. Maxwells Equations.
2. Magnetic induction and electric displacement.
3. Origins of the electric permittivity and magnetic permeability.
4. Wave equations and optical constants.
5. The origin
Origins of Magnetization
(A number of illustrations in this lecture were generously provided by Prof. Geoffrey Beach)
1. Magnetic dipoles.
2. Orbital and spin angular momenta.
3. Non-interacting magnetic dipoles: paramagnetism
Layered Materials and Photonic Band Diagrams
1. Transfer matrix approaches to layered media
2. Periodic layered media
3. Bloch solutions and photonic band diagrams
Questions you should be able to answer by the end of todays lecture
1. Energy carried by the wave (Poynting vector).
2. Maxwells equations and Boundary conditions at interfaces.
3. Materials boundaries: reflection and refraction. Snells Law.
Questions you should be able to answer