1. What percentage of the energy stored in the chemical bonds of gasoline is converted to useful work
in an automobile engine?
Only about 25% of the energy that an automobile engine extracts from its fuel is converted to the kinetic
energy of the car's mo
1. What causes lactose intolerance? Is there a way to treat it?
To absorb this sugar, digestive cells there must produce a molecule called lactase. Lactase is an enzyme, a
protein that helps drive chemical reactions. People with lactose intolerance produc
1. Define photosynthesis. What is the function of the thylakoids?
Photosynthesis is a process whereby plants, algae (protists), and certain bacteria transform light energy
into chemical energy, using carbon dioxide and water as starting materials. The thy
1. What is parthenogenesis?
Parthenogenesis is the production of offspring by a female without involvement of a male.
Parthenogenesis is one form of asexual reproduction, the creation of a new generation without
participation of sperm and egg.
2. What are
1. Gregor Mendel's work provided the basis for modern genetics (the scientific study of transmission
of traits from one generation to the next). Describe the four ground breaking hypotheses proposed by
Mendel in his 1866 paper on heredity in pea plants.
1. Define Biology
Biology is the scientific study of life.
2. List and give a brief description of the seven properties of life described in Chapter 1.
(a) Order. All living things exhibit complex but ordered organization, like in the structure of a pine
1. Which four elements make up approximately 96% of the weight of the human body?
The four elements that make up approximately 96% of the weight of the human body are oxygen,
hydrogen, nitrogen, and carbon.
2. What is the total number of protons and elect