AMSCO Chapters 5-6 Review
1. What was the purpose of the First Continental Congress? To respond to what the delegates viewed
as Britains alarming threats to their liberties.
a. Who were some of the delegates? Patrick Henry of Virginia, Samuel Adams and Jo
AMSCO Chapter 17 Review
1. What was the mining frontier? People spread West in search of gold.
a. What were the characteristics of mining towns? Towns boomed at first with saloons
and vigilante justice, but soon became ghost towns.
b. How did the mining b
AMSCO Chapter 15 Review
1. What was Reconstruction? Rebuilding the south, integrating freed slaves into society, and
getting the Union back together.
2. What was Lincolns view of Reconstruction? Southern states could not constitutionally leave
Union so th
AMSCO Chapters 9-10 Review
1. What was the primary economic activity of the Northeast in the early 19 th century? Economic
growth was based on commercial farming and industrial innovation.
2. What challenges did workers face? Their pay was low and they wo
AMSCO Chapters 11-12 Review
1. What was the antebellum period? The period before the Civil War started in 1861.
2. What was the Second Great Awakening? Religious revival as a reaction against rationalism.
3. Describe the following Second Great Awakening i
AMSCO Chapters 3-4 Review
1. Where did the following groups mostly settle in the British American colonies?
a. English: The New England area.
b. Germans: Settled chiefly on the rich farmlands west of Philadelphia.
c. Scotch-Irish: Most settled along the f
AMSCO Chapters 7-8 Review
1. For what reasons did France want to sell Louisiana to the US? Napoleon needed to concentrate
French resources on fighting England and because a rebellion led by Toussaint lOuveture against
French rule on the island of Santo Do
AMSCO Chapters 13-14 Review
1. What were the four main causes of the Civil War?
a. Slavery, growing moral issue in north, expansion in south.
b. Constitutional disputes over nature of federal Union and states rights
c. Economic differences. Industrial nor
AMSCO Chapter 19-20 Review
1. What was the Gilded Age? False sense of wealth and stability in the late 19 th century.
2. Why was there little political activism and change during the Gilded Age?
a. Belief in Limited Government: Limited government spelled