9: Exponential Functions - Answers
2. The both have constant rates. Linear functions have a constant rate of change (the
same number is added to outputs of successive inputs). Exponential functions have a
constant growth factor (the same nu
4: Displaying Data - Answers
1. They are both ways to organize quantitative data into groups. A frequency
distribution is in table form, a histogram is graphical.
2. It is easy to organize data in a frequency distribution and you can get a better feel for
7: Linear Functions - Answers
1. A function where the rate of change, (change in input)/(change in output), is constant
over the entire domain of the function.
2. Slope and y-intercept
b) y 3 x 2
4. f(2) = 3; f (3) = 5; f(10) = 19
5. f(2) =
3: Applications of Graphs - Answers
The person started about 4 feet away from the motion detector and walked away
at a constant rate about 4 feet. Then the person stopped for about 4 seconds
before continuing walking away at the same con
8: Regression and Correlation - Answers
a) 14.55 lbs.
b) 85.85 lbs. This is not reasonable (it is too high) since a child's weight gain does
not remain constant
c) The y-intercept would change to 8.5 and the equation would be y = 2.1x
5: Describing Data: Mean, Median, and Standard Deviation - Answers
c) For part (b) you just need to find the middle number, for part (a) you need to find
the average of the two middle numbers.
2. The mean is 49.9 3 and the median is 46.
6: Multivariable Functions and Contour Diagrams - Answers
1. Multivariable Function
2. For example, someones body mass index (BMI) is determined using a multivariable
function where the persons height and weight are the inputs.
3. f(1,2) is the output of
1: Functions - Answers
1. Symbolic (e.g. y = 2x + 7), graphical (e.g. gas prices over time), numerical (e.g. table
of data, such as test scores), and verbal (e.g. an explanation of how the circumference
of a circle increases as the diameter increases).
2: Graphical Representations of Functions - Answers
2. Yes. For each input (time) there is at most one output (temperature.)
Horizontal: amount of gasoline; Vertical: cost
Horizontal: horsepower; Vertical: time
Horizontal: day; Vertic
GEMS 100 Review for Test 1
Test 1 will be over chapters 1-8. Remember:
Use a pencil (with an eraser)
I will give partial credit if you show me any correct work
Bring your own calculator (no sharing!)
You may have a 3x5 note card with you
Half of the t
12: Power Functions - Answers
1. Linear functions model things where there is a constant rate of change. Power
functions will model something in which the rate changes.
a) y = x2
b) y = x1/ 6
c) y = x-2
d) y = x1 2
e) y = x6
f) y = x1/2
3. For any real
GEMS 100 Review for Test 2
Unit 9: Exponential Functions
o Know the general formula for an exponential function and its properties.
o Given an exponential function be able to determine the output