Exercise 12 Circulatory System
Be able to identify structures from the model and know their function:
Study Heart figure in lab manual.
Be able to trace a drop of blood through the heart and major vessels of the pulmonary
and systemic ci
1. In laboratories that study the origin of life, what is the furthest step that has been achieved?
the production of self-replicating RNA
2. What does the fossil record tell us about hominids?
Hominids were a diverse group of primate species of which mod
1. Radiation therapy works primarily by
damaging DNA in cells so that cells can no longer grow and divide
Which of the following affects the number of genetically distinct gametes that an organism can
A. the number of chromosomes in the cell
1. Carbohydrates are an excellent source of energy for the body. If a candy bar and a pear
contain an equal number of Calories from carbohydrates, which is a healthier food and
The pear is healthier because it contains more vitamins, minerals, and fi
1. Cystic fibrosis is caused by the allele f, which is completely recessive to the normal dominant
allele F. Consider a couple with the genotype Ff. What is the chance that their first child will
develop cystic fibrosis?
Combined, your parents coul
1. Scientists believe that the first prokaryotes on Earth arose _ years ago, and the first
eukaryotes arose _ years later.
3.5 billion; 1.7 billion
2. What is the pH of a neutral solution? 7
3. Assume that a plant is suffering from drought and is beginnin
1. Results from one test of a new drug are found to be statistically significant; therefore,
Should be tested again
2. Suppose that a botanist is interested in the effect of light on plants. In an experiment
she conducts, 50 individual plan
Study Guide for Exam 4
Review all chapters and powerpoints for this unit
Know the major groups of organisms that we talked about (bacteria, fungi, protists, plants,
o What are characteristics of bacteria? What makes Archaeans (includ
Life Science Exam 5 Study Guide
Review all Powerpoints and chapters
Review all the basics of the organ systems we discussed
Review transplantation. What organs are able to be transplanted?
What is the level of organization in an individual? start with the
Cells specialized to preform the same function.
o Classes of Tissues
layers of cells that line organs and protect or enclose them
- examples: ligaments, tendons, membranes
1. Sex-linked traits can be expressed by:
either males or females
2. A man who carries a harmful sex-linked (on the X chromosome) gene will pass the gene on to:
all of his daughters
3. Karyotyping, which shows the number and shape of chromosomes, relies u