Which of the following characteristics relates only to antimicrobial drugs and not other antimicrobial agents such as antiseptics and disinfectants? -it is selectively toxic to the microbe but nontoxic to host cells A cationic detergent having 4 organic g
Which of the following is a likely result of the routine and indiscriminate use of antimicrobials (particularly antibiotics)? -All of the above: selection for, and production of "super microbes" that survive disinfection, a reduction in the natural contac
1. Which of the following are NOT economic roles or practical uses of algae: E. ALL ARE
USES- a. red algae used for food in orient, b. alginic acid used in ice-cream or milk to
improve texture, c. diatoms used for time of death of drowned bodies d. diatom
1. Which of the following has a cell wall? D. ALL- Fungi, Fungal Protists, Algal
2. Components of algal blooms? E. A&B- Algal Protists & Cyanobacteria 3. Mushrooms, as well as the human pathogen Filobasidella neoformans(formerly
Functions of the viral capsids and envelopes that does not benefit the virus: host defense
15% of cancers are viral related
Primary purposes of viral cultivation
-isolating and identifying viruses in clinical specimens
- preparing viruses for vaccines
1. Because of the darkness, cold, and extreme pressure, scientists have had to develop technology to enable them to study the deep ocean floor. 2. Sonar is a system that uses sound waves to calculate the distance to an object. 3. The continent
1. Most waves form when winds blowing across the waters
surface transmit their energy to the water.
2. A wave is the movement of energy through a body of water.
3. The name for the highest part of the wave is the crest.
4. The horizontal dista
Chapter 21 Reading Guide 1. Does this reproductive cycle kill the host cell? a. It does not kill the host cell. 2. What are retroviruses and how do they use reverse transcriptase? a. Retroviruses are RNA animal viruses with most complicated reproductive c
Chapter 20 Reading Guide
1.List the full steps of the simplified viral reproductive cycle.
a. The virus enters the cell and is uncoated, and releases the viral DNA and
b. The hosts enzymes then replicated the viruses genomes
c. Host cells
Chapter 19 Reading Guide 1. How and what did Dr. Mayer discover specifically in 1883? a. Dr. Mayer was studying the tobacco mosaic disease and realized that if he rubbed sap from one of the infected plants to one of the healthy plants, the sap would cause