APWH Ch. 9 vocabulary
1. Hagia Sophia- new church constructed in Constantinople during reign of Justinian
2. Belisarius- one of Justinians most important military commanders during period of
reconquest of western Europe; commanded in North Africa and Ital
APWH Ch. 9 review for test
What was the significance of the Byzantine Empire?
the empires ability to survive for almost a thousand years, the importance of the empires capital at Constantinople as a
major urban center, the ability of the empire to spre
APWh Quiz Ch. 7 Review #1
1. Caliph al-Mahdi
2. Decline of Abbasid dynasty
4. Caliph al-Rashid?
5. Civil wars death of al-Rashid
6. Mercenary armies of later Abbasid era
7. Abbasid Empire agriculture
9. Seclusion and veiling of women in
The Abbasid Caliphate
- ruled from 750-1258 and then from 1261-1517. The breif interruption was due to the Mongol
sack of their capital city of Baghdad.
- founded by the decendents of Muhammad's uncle.
- seized power by overthrowing the Umayyad empire.
APWH Study guide
3)Hinduism urged that
all living creatures participated in the divine essence
(3)Compared to china, Indian social and economic structure
gave a stronger role to merchants
(3)In the classical period, both china and india
APWH Terms to know by Monday
Stateless societies- African societies organized around kinshp or other forms of
obligation and lacking the concentration of political power and authority
associated with stat