Chapter 41 Animal Nutrition
1) In a well-fed human eating a Western diet, the richest source of stored chemical energy in the body is
A) fat in adipose tissue.
2) Animals that migrate great distances would obtain the greatest energetic benefit of storing
Chapter 49 Nervous Systems
1) Although an exact count is not available, it is likely that the human brain has as many as
E) 100 billion neurons.
2) The central nervous system is lacking in animals that have
B) bilateral symmetry.
3) Cephalization, the clu
Chapter 40 Basic Principles of Animal Form and Function
1) When the temperature of the outside air exceeds their internal body temperature, jackrabbits living in hot, arid lands will
B) constrict the blood vessels in their large ears to reduce transfer of
Chapter 20 Biotechnology
1) Assume that you are trying to insert a gene into a plasmid. Someone gives you a preparation of genomic DNA
that has been cut with restriction enzyme X. The gene you wish to insert has sites on both ends for cutting by
Chapter 50 Sensory and Motor Mechanisms
1) The 11 pairs of appendages projecting from the rostral area of star-nosed moles are
B) tactile structures.
2) The correct sequence of sensory processing is
B) stimulus reception sensory transduction sensory perce
Chapter 45 Hormones and the Endocrine System
1) All hormones
C) are carried to target cells in the blood.
2) In a positive-feedback system where hormone A alters the amount of protein X
A) an increase in A always produces an increase in X.
FALL 2015 Biology 102
Due December 7, 2015
Genetics Homework # 4 (15 points)
1) Human chromosome 16
Summary of Maps:
Map 1: Ideogram
Region Displayed: 16pter-16qter band
Map 2: Contig
Region Displayed: 0-90M bp
Chapter 48 Neurons, Synapses, and Signaling
1) A simple nervous system
E) includes sensory information, an integrating center, and effectors.
2) Most of the neurons in the human brain are
3) The nucleus and most of the organelles in a neu