St. Francis of Assisi was born in 1182, in Assisi. He was originally named, Giovanni Francesco Bernardone. St. Francis father was, Pietro Bernardone, he was a wealthy Assisian cloth merchant, and his mother, Pica, belonged to a noble family of Proven
The Insiders and Outsiders of the Headscarf Controversy
The hijab or the headscarf worn by women in the Islamic religion has and continues to
spark much controversy within both the western world an
Introduction to Religious Studies
Peek-a-Boo with Religiosity
Today, culture seems to be what is keeping religion alive, in the way that to it, religion
continues to be something that can be crafted to agree with the changes o
Brahmanism (early Hinduism)
Buddhists take a lot of their religious assumptions from Brahmanism, but they dont like
Brahmanism at all
They imagine all of reality and time as a grand circle
The circle is known as
Christologya particular representation as to how Christ was the Christ
apocalyptic followers of Jesus
they identified Jesus person with Daniel CH 7
they believed that really really soon Jesus, the son of man, would
Part 2 Experience, doctrines, and ethics
Samsara imagined suffering of rebirth
Dependent Origination (interdependent origination) the belief that every suffering in our life is
dependent upon our previous suffering
Based largely off of Judaism
ancient Jews dont believe in life after death
they believe that god gives humans finite lives and will die, at which point they are done
it is because of this that having children is import
The double Denial of the Atman
Deny both the Individual Atman and the True Atman
Deny the existence of Brahman
They do this so that they dont need to wait forever for salvation like Brahmanists
The need to realize that o
Working Definition of Religion
Religion is a form of symbolic order through which human beings express their
relationship to what they consider to be the ultimate. The distinguishing feature of this
relationship lies in the human b
Christianity and Islam are the children of the Jewish religion
Began in the ancient middle east. Today known as Israel
Historically and Critically acclaimed, Jesus was not the founder of Christianity
Jesus of History
Historical-Critical Method An academic
1st thing we do is take any personal views about religion and bracket them (put them to the side)
Dont let your own emotional feelings about them cloud your judgment
Read the writings as cult
Ivana M. Brown
November 29, 2012
Filial Piety in Popular Chinese Literature
Among the various forms of virtuous conduct, xiao comes first ~ Chinese proverb
At the root of Chinese ethics is a virtue known as filial piety. Filial pi
Ivana M. Brown
November 14, 2012
Short Paper Assignment
How do the scriptures we have read from the Asian traditions differ in their rhetorical presentations?
Each Asian religion, respectively, has a tradition which it adheres to.
Jesus Parables in the Synoptic Gospels The parable in which I have chosen is the parable of the Prodigal Son. This parable is found in Luke, verse 15 chapters 11-32 (Luke 15:11-32). I believe this parable has a very strong message and is important fo
1. Sacred- A term derived from Latin for that which is done inside the
2. Apologetics-One activity of offering a defense of ones religion.
3. Outsiders Viewpoint- academic study religion. that seeks
1. Phenomenological Theory- Particular Theory + comparative method
that assumes religions to be manifestations of the sacred.
2. Hierophanic- Manifestation or revelation of the sacred.
3. Numinous- Latin word for spirit- refers to experien
Chapter 5 Notes
1. Ideological Rituals seeks social control by changing the mood,
behavior, sentiments, motivations and values of people.
2. Revitalization Rituals seeks to revitalize a culture or a religion seen
as dying or in the process of being
1. Iconoclastic breaking images but in religious studies usually refer
to movements opposed to the use of images in worship (Protestantism)
2. Dreamtime Australian Aborigines, a sacred time when everything
that exists today was created
Nomos law often used in a general sense to refer to anything that
exhibits a meaningful order
2. Anomic lawlessness Emile Durkheim introduced term to name the
condition of a society or an individual when normal order is dissolving
1. De(te)- Akin to excellence and power; china.
2. Duty Ethics- An ethical system based on the notions of deity,
obligation and obedience to rules.
3. Shu- seeing someone else as being like yourself.
4. Sunna- Of Muhammed as divinely inspi
1. Wahhabism idea that one of Osma Bin Ladins teachers taught him.
Literal interpretation of the Quran
2. Civil Religion A set of beliefs and rituals that unite the diverse
elements of a society into a unifying ideology
3. Theocracy Polit
1. Five Dilemmas- comcept developed by Thomas oDea concerns
dilemmas religious organizations must face and try to solve as they
become more complex.
2. Tibetan Buddhism- A religion in jeopardy in its native country.
3. Canon- official lis
2nd Type of Question- Outline Flow Chart
1. What is the problem?
- Word religion is ambigious
2. How do we solve it?
- Instead of asking what is religion?, ask where can we find it?
3. Respond to the question with a claim.
- Answer using the Benney Hypoth
Humans as Meaning Makers 9/8
Human made meaning:
-Truth and falsity
-Just & unjust
-Good & Evil
-Sweet and Sour
-Pleasure and Pain
made by level of experience depths of ourselves
experiences are subjective in our minds and hearts as well as our souls, per