Final Review Sheet Anthro 169 Fall 2010 Please bring scantron from # F-288 to the exam as well as a couple of pencils and an eraser. The final exam is scheduled for Thurs., Dec. 9, from 7:00-9:00pm.
Maps Please look at the map of Southeast Asia on our web
Midterm Review Sheet Anthro 169/ IS 179 Fall 2010 Please bring scantron from # F-288 to the exam as well as a couple of pencils and an eraser. The exam is scheduled for Thursday, October 21, 2010. You will have until 8:00 pm (90 minutes) to complete the m
(Un)Necessary Toughness?: Those "Loud Black Girls" and Those "Quiet Asian Boys"
Vassar College This article examines the process of identity construction and its relationship to discursive and representational acts in producing students as aca
Reading Guide: Conceptions of State and Kingship in Southeast Asia Robert Heine-Geldern 1) What are the two main religions discussed in the readings, and why are they important to understanding states and kingships in SE Asia? 2) What is the macrocosmos a
Reading Guide: The Syncretism of Religions in Southeast Asia, Especially in the Khmer Empire Lawrence Palmer Briggs
1) According to the reading, what are two of the main syncretizations that occurred during the Khmer empire that greatly affected its relig
The Barong Dance
TheBarong presented here is called Barong Keket. This Barong Keket wear a mask, corresponding with a mythical "lion" and the folower friend "monkey" and This type is the most popular Barong. No one can explain the meaning of the word Baro
European Colonization Southeast Asia
Malacca Established by Parameswara on Malay Peninsula about 1402 he created a
monopoly trade alliance with the Ming dynasty in China and became major center of trade in SE
Asia, replacing the economic and political pow
Anthro 169/ IS 179: Southeast Asian Culture and Southeast Asian Immigrants
Dept. of Anthropology
Office Location: SBSG 3302
Office Hours: Th 5:45 6:45 pm
or by appointment
Lecture: Thurs. 7:00 9:50 pm
Course Code 60320 (Anthro 169)
History of S.E.A
1. Animinism- Spirit worship
2. Hinduism @ 21000 Y.A
3. Mahayana Buddhism
4. Theravada Buddhism & Islam- Sprit in S.E. Asia
ABOVE ARE GENERAL RELIGION IN S.E.A.
Bali- Most people identify as Hindu.
Balinese Hinduism is
STATS 7A MIDTERM 1 SEAT AND VERSION ASSIGNMENTS: DBH 1100
ALBURN, SCOTT EVERETT
ALVAREZ, CONCEPCION PATRICIA
AMBRIZ, KASSANDRA MONIQUE
ANAYA, JENNIFER LYN
Reading Guide: Making Empire Respectable: The Politics of Race and Sexual Morality in 20th-Century Colonical Cultures Ann Stoler 1) What is concubinage, why was it started and what role did it play in colonialism?
2) How and why did the practice of concub
Reading Guide: Education, Gender and Generational Conflict among Khmer Refugees Nancy Smith- Hefner
1) What is the cultural- mismatch perspective? What is the ecological perspective ? What are some examples from the reading that can demonstrate both these
Reading Guide: Adam and Eve and Vishnu: Syncretism in the Javanese Slametan Andrew Beatty 1) Explain the ritual of Slametan, and its importance to Javanese culture. When is a Slametan held and why? What religion is the Slametan supposed to be a part of? 2
Reading Guide: Buddhism and Popular Religion in Medieval Vietnam JC Cleary
1. What religious traditions were being combined and taught through the use of the Truyen Dang Tap Luc? 2. What are the "sutras?" What was "vinaya" and who followed it? 3. Accordin
Reading Guide: We Dont Sleep Around Like White Girls Do: Family, Culture and Gender in F ilipina American Lives Yen Le Espiritu
1) What are some of the stereotypes that are associated with white women? How are these different from the family- oriented mod
Reading Guide: Looking at Southeast Asian History D.G. E. Hall 1. What are the main cultural divisions in Southeast Asia (SEA)?
2. What early empire is credited with bringing Indian culture into SEA?
3. What are the four Theravada Buddhist Kingdoms?
Key Terms Anthro 169/IS 179
Samsara cycle of birth, death and rebirth a symbolic wheel which is common to
both Hindu and Buddhist ideologies. The goal of both Hinduism and Buddhism is to ultimately escape from this cycle.
Maya Illusion according to Hindu
Reading Guide: A New Look at Old Southeast Asia Craig J. Reynolds 1. What is the SEA cultural matrix?
2. What are two indigenous state forms?
3. What are the features of the state as Negara?
4. Which empire that we have studied would exemplify the notion
UPDATED Review Sheet Midterm Exam Anthro 2a
Summer 2014 Session Two
Please Bring the Pink Scantron Form No. F-288 A Couple of Sharp Pencils and an
Eraser to the Midterm. Our Midterm is scheduled for Wed., August 20 from 1:00
Please make sure you