1. Which of the following can form hydrogen bonds with water? Which of the following are nonpolar molecules?
2. Identify the kind of intermolecular forces that might arise between molecules of
1. What type(s) of intermolecular forces exist between the following pairs?
a. HBr and H2S
b. Cl2 and CBr4
c. I2 and NO32. Explain the term polarizability. What kind of molecules tend to have high polarizabilities?
What is the relationship between polariz
1. An argon canister for the system has a volume of 55.0 mL and contains 26.0 g of argon.
Assuming ideal gas behavior, what is the pressure in the canister at 295 K?
2. A 248 mL gas sample has a mass of 0.433 g at a pressure of 745 mm Hg and a temperature
1. Which of the following can act as both hydrogen bond donor and hydrogen bond acceptor?
Which of the following can form hydrogen bonds with water? Which of the following are nonpolar molecules?
1. The thermite reaction, in which powdered aluminum reacts with Iron (III) oxide, is highly
2 Al(s) + Fe2O3 (s) Al2O3
Use standard enthalpies of formation to find Hrxn for the thermite reaction.
answer: -851.5 kJ
2. Arrange these compounds in
H solv = H solution ( H solute + H solvent ) = Csolution T
Molar Heat of Vaporization
As temperature increases, the equilibrium vapor pressure of a liquid
The connection between the energy of vaporization and the vapor pressure
of a liquid is given by the Clausius-Clapeyron Equation,
ln P =
Conserva?on of Energy
The rst law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created
or destroyed, so
U system + U surroundings = 0
When the internal energy of the system changes, there must be an
equal but opposite cha
4.If 14.6 mL of gaseous N2 effuses from a container through a pinhole in 22.8 s, what would be
the rate of effusion (mL/s) of CH4 under the same conditions?
5.Calculate the root mean square speed (rms) for gaseous C3H6 at 597 K.
If a molecule