Research Paper Writing 101
Finding Academic Sources
- Start here
o Google Scholar
o UCI Libraries
- Conferences and Journals focusing on Games Studies
o Foundaitons of Digital Games
o Digital Games research Association
o Games Studies
o Games and Culture
Labor in Networks
- Increasingly, economic value is extracted through our participation in
- She first noticed this when starting to play World of Warcraft
Free and low cost labor in networks
- Economic value extracted at many p
Video Games, Industry, and Culture
Why is the Games Industry Important?
o Video games are a mass-consumer commodity ($55 billion worldwide
Still lag behind filmed entertainment at $86 billion
This is changing though
- Industry is the techno
History of Video Games III
The 80s: Adventure Games
- Addventure Games of the 80s
o MUDs still struggling because of a lack of networked computers
o In general, adventure games were more widely accepted because were
viewed as closer to literature/fiction
Week 1 Lecture
What is a Video Game?
- This class is accepting of all games
- A series of interesting choices
o What if the choices arent interesting?
o What about linear games that dont rely on choices?
o A GOOD game is a series of interesting choices? D
History of Video Games II
What significant event on August 6th, 1945 would change the world forever?
- Atomic Bomb dropped on Hiroshima
Atomic Bomb and Video games
- Emergence of military industrial complex
- Rise of post WWII technological societies
Narrative: Can video games tell stories?
Can video games tell stories?
- Will Wright says
o Games are not the right medium to tell stories Video games are
more about story possibilities (2011)
o I think gaming is starting to move alongside storytelling as
ICS 60 Week 1 Lecture 2
General Models for understanding games
- Researching and analyzing games
- Solidifying a term in discussion
- Make explicit personal assumptions
- Help overall clarity of arguments
- Ludwig Wittgenstein
o German ph
- Canadian philosopher and media theorist
- Argument: Games are a reflection of the culture that produces them reveal a
cultures core values
- Two main components of argument:
o Games are tied to culture and thus reveal th
Serious Games When Entertainment is not enough
- Are video games just entertainment
- If not then what is the socio-political and cultural value of video games?
- What do players take away from video games at an individual level
- Do players learn from vi
ICS60: Computer Games and Society
Midterm ANSWER KEY (FORM A)
1. T | F : The military-industrial complex played a large role in the content of many early games.
2. T | F : In the last few decades, there has been less