Evidence in the healing scene of Tristans love/interest towards Iseult (before drinking the love
- Tristans smile when he realizes he found the girl w/ the golden hair
- smile can be interpreted in a way of his interest(?).
- He doesnt fight back
How does the Chevalier spring himself from his jail (Saint-Lazare)? Are there casualties?
How does the young GM meet Manon? Who delivers the letter from Manon that the
Chevalier receives in front of the theater? What does the letter say? How does Manon ex
The Romance of Tristan and Iseult (or Isolde; either spelling will be fine), as retold by Joseph
Why do King Marks barons want him to get married? Does he want to get married? Why or why
not? Why does he finally accede to his barons demand that he f
Manon Lescaut by the Abb Prvost
In the Forward, what justification does the author give for presenting the story he is about to
present? What purpose is this examplethis example of the power of the passions
supposed to serve, according to the author?
Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary
What is the title of this book? Madame Bovary. What can you say about Flauberts choice to call
it this and not, say, Emma? How does this relate to his choice to begin the book with Charles
story rather than with Emmas?
The final will have the same format as the midterm. Each section will just be a bit longer. The
final is not cumulative. That is, you will not be tested on the texts assigned before the midterm.
You will be tested only on the Girard and the Flaubert. That
When things get stale with Rodolphe, Emma wants to lean on something more solid than love
(152). So she tries to start Charles on a path to make a name for himselfto increase his
reputation and his fortune. Emma wanted Charles to make that name good enoug
Study Guide, Midterm, French 50: Language of Love
The midterm will have two parts: (1) short answer ID questions and (2) an essay (Ill give you 2
or 3 questions to choose from). Here are the instructions youll encounter for part 1: Please
identify and dis
3 out of 5 ID questions (15 MINS EACH)
1 out of 5 Essay questions (30 MINS)
- No rule for format
- Suggests to have multiple paragraphs instead of having one big paragraph
- Speak about text in detail
- Dont need intro / conclusion
- Just cut to th
Midterm - Feb 4th
- Use the study guide as a guide
- at least one quote
- when you give the quote, give the page number also
- quote (page number).
- Give the reader what text youre talking about
Earlier we talked about:
general structure of an ID is very specific to some kind of question or thought about those facts
always expressing in terms of concrete details.
- but can you not see, my poor dear soul, that in the state we are reduce to, fidelity is a
LARGE BLUE BOOK
Steps to study the study guide:
1. What pages in the book is the question?
2. describe the scenario
sleep and death
In wanting passion, we really want death
passionate love is morbid
You do not need to prove the thesis; you just need to
- scene where emma recognizes herself as a character in the position of the novel she
- Leon realizes he is the character in his own romantic fantasies
- both are readers
- for the first time he was sailing
you have to
Manon Lescaut, first 50 pages
knight = Chevalier
three sons, each get some inheritance
- those sons will have children, which will keep fragmenting the Chevalier state
- second son, does not inherit the state?
medieval = 12th century term; Tristan and Ise
NOTE TO SELF: REMEMBER THE AUTHORS NAMES
Study Guide, Final Exam, French50: Language of Love
The final will have the same format as the midterm. Each section will just be a bit
longer. The final is not cumulative. That is, you will not be tested on the te
De Rougemont, Love in the Western World (this is a book; we read the first 13 pages of the
What does passion fundamentally mean, according to De Rougemont? Passion means
suffering. How does De Rougemont link the question of the meaning of passion to