Chapter 16 Carbohydrates
Chapter 16: Carbohydrates
1. Which of the following statements concerning carbohydrates is INCORRECT?
A) Carbohydrates serve important energy and structural roles for plants and animals.
B) Monosaccharides are the simplest carbohy
Chapter 11 The Unsaturated Hydrocarbons Alkenes, Alkynes, and Aromatics
Chapter 11: The Unsaturated Hydrocarbons Alkenes,
Alkynes, and Aromatics
1. Which of the following best describes the changes that occurred in the reaction shown
A) An H atom a
Chapter 7 Energy, Rate, and Equilibrium
Chapter 7: Energy, Rate, and Equilibrium
1. Which of the following is always necessary for a chemical reaction to occur between
two reactants, A and B?
A) A and B must be present in the same physical state.
Chapter 10 An Introduction to Organic Chemistry - The Saturated Hydrocarbons
Chapter 10: An Introduction to Organic Chemistry - The
1. Which of the following statements about organic compounds is FALSE?
A) Organic compounds are only
Chapter 9 The Nucleus Radioactivity and Nuclear Medicine
Chapter 9: The Nucleus Radioactivity and Nuclear Medicine
1. A substance is described as being radioactive. What does this indicate about the
A) The substance was formed as a result of th
Chapter 4 Calculations and the Chemical Equation
Chapter 4: Calculations and the Chemical Equation
1. One mole of any substance contains Avogadros number of particles of that substance.
What is the numerical value of Avogadros number?
A) 6.022 1023
Chapter 23 Fatty Acid Metabolism
Chapter 23: Fatty Acid Metabolism
1. What compound serves as the starting material for the biosynthesis of fatty acids and is
also a key intermediate in fatty acid metabolism?
C) bile salt
Chapter 18 Protein Structure and Function
Chapter 18: Protein Structure and Function
1. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Which of the following statements
concerning amino acids is FALSE?
A) There are 20 different amino acids that occur na
Chapter 19 Enzymes
Chapter 19: Enzymes
1. Which of the following statements concerning enzymes is FALSE?
A) Enzymes are the bodys biological catalysts, increasing the rate of cellular reactions.
B) Enzymes are usually globular proteins with flexible three
Chapter 5 States of Matter Gases, Liquids, and Solids
Chapter 5: States of Matter Gases, Liquids, and Solids
1. Which statement concerning the three states of matter is FALSE?
A) Particles of a gas are well separated, have no regular arrangement, and move
Chapter 21 Carbohydrate Metabolism
Chapter 21: Carbohydrate Metabolism
1. Which of the following statements concerning metabolism is FALSE?
A) Metabolism refers to all of the chemical reactions that take place in living cells.
B) Anabolism involves the sy
Chapter 17 Lipids and Their Functions in Biochemical Systems
Chapter 17: Lipids and Their Functions in Biochemical
1. What is the common name for the fatty acid with the condensed structure shown below?
A) lauric acid
B) oleic acid
Chapter 20 Introduction to Molecular Genetics
Chapter 20: Introduction to Molecular Genetics
1. What important discovery about DNA was made by Irwin Chargaff?
A) The structure of DNA was a double stranded helix.
B) Chromosomes were DNA-containing structur
Chapter 6 Solutions
Chapter 6: Solutions
1. Which statement concerning solutions is FALSE?
A) A solution is a homogenous mixture of two or more pure substances.
B) A solution is composed of a solvent and one or more solutes.
C) A solution has its componen
Chapter 15 Amines and Amides
Chapter 15: Amines and Amides
1. Lidocaine is used as a local anesthetic and a cardiac depressant. Which of the following
best describes the organic families to which lidocaine belongs?
A) phenol, amide
B) aromatic, amine
Chapter 1: Chemistry - Methods and Measurement
1. Which is the summary of a large amount of scientific information?
C) scientific law
E) scientific method
2. What method used by scientists is the systematic app
Chapter 12 Alcohols, Phenols, Thiols, and Ethers
Chapter 12: Alcohols, Phenols, Thiols, and Ethers
1. What class of compounds is represented by the general formula RSH?
2. The compound tetrah
Chapter 14 Carboxylic Acids and Carboxylic Acid Derivatives
Chapter 14: Carboxylic Acids and Carboxylic Acid
1. What is the name of the functional group found in all carboxylic acids?
A) acetal group
B) enol group
C) carboxyl group
Chapter 2 The Structure of the Atom and the Periodic Table
Chapter 2: The Structure of the Atom and the Periodic
1. What are the three primary particles found in an atom?
A) neutron, positron, and electron
B) electron, neutron, and proton
Chapter 13 Aldehydes and Ketones
Chapter 13: Aldehydes and Ketones
1. Salicin is a naturally occurring pain reliever isolated from the bark of willow trees.
Which of the following statements concerning the structure of salicin is correct?
A) It contains a
Chapter 8 Acids and Bases and Oxidation-Reduction
Chapter 8: Acids and Bases and Oxidation-Reduction
1. Which of the following statements concerning acids and bases is FALSE?
A) A Brnsted-Lowry acid is a proton (H+) donor.
B) A Brnsted-Lowry base is a pro
Chapter 22 Aerobic Respiration and Energy Production
Chapter 22: Aerobic Respiration and Energy Production
1. What is the term for the folded ridges in the inner membrane of the mitochondria?
A) endoplasmic reticulum
Chapter 3 Structure and Properties of Ionic and Covalent Compounds
Chapter 3: Structure and Properties of Ionic and Covalent
1. What do the dots in a Lewis symbol represent?
B) valence electrons
C) innermost (core) electrons
D) the nu