Department of Economics
University of California, Irvine
210A - Microeconomic Theory I
Sample Midterm Exam questions
(An exam usually consists of three questions like those below)
1. Consider a production function f (x1 ; x2 ), whereby output is
Econ 210A Fall 2011
Due date: Monday, November 21
1. Ex. 13.8, p.232 in Varian.
2. Suppose Robinson (R) and Xena (X ) are isolated on an island. There are two nal
goods, coconuts and sh. R has one unit of sh as endowment and X has one unit o
Due date: Monday, November 14
1. Mom has only one (indivisible) piece of candy and has to decide whether to give it to
her daughter Angie or to her son Benjie. Like all impartial moms she is indierent
between giving it to
Due date: Wednesday, November 2
1. Consider a consumer with a continuous, strictly quasi-concave utility function. Show
that the Marshallian demand functions are single-valued.
2. Consider the consumer utility maximizatio
Due: Wednesday, Oct. 19.
1. Ex. 5.C.6, parts (a) and (b), in MWG, p. 161.
2. Ex. 5.C.10 in MWG, p. 162
3. Ex. 4.3 in Varian, p.63
4. Ex. 4.4 in Varian, p.63
5. Ex. 5.2 in Varian, p.77.
6. Ex. 5.11 in Varian, p. 78
Due: Monday, Oct. 10.
1. Show that the CES production function exhibits constant returns to scale.
2. Consider the neoclassical rm problem:
M axx pf (x)
wi xi where x = (x1 ; x2 ; :; xn )
Microeconomic Theory I - 210A
Assignment #1 (Due: October 3)
Please read Milton Friedmans "The Methodology of Positive Economics." Write a summary of
of his argument (no more than one page). Formulate one or more questions that you hav
Sample questions for nal
(Please note that these questions are mainly from the second part of the
course. Questions from the rst part of the course can be found in the sample
1. Derive the Marshallian demands, Hicksian demand