BIOL 1108K Lab 7 Microscopy and Bacteria
Name SHANICE BAILEY
1. What is the eighth taxonomic level proposed
3. Say you want to look at a known specimen,
like a protist (a single-celled eu
1. Walter and Alvarez cracked a mystery that paleontologists and biologists had
not because Walter was determined. He wanted to answer a variety of
questions. With the help of his father, Alvarez, a great team was created.
Alvarez knew plenty about physic
Into the Jungle 3
1. The glimpse Bates had was when he realized the significance of mimicry as evidence for process
of natural selection.
2. Bates suggested that species would mimic another in order to keep clear from their predators. He
couldnt tell part
1. Huxley influenced Dubois with his book. He compared the first human fossils
to apes and it made Dubois want to explore it more.
2. He chose to search there because there was a recent discovery.
3. Dubois assembled evidence on the skull and thighbone th
1. Wallace chose to go to the Malay Archipelago because the animals and plants
there were unexplored and offered rich pickings for a traveler.
2. On Bali, Wallace found a weaver, woodpecker, thrush, and a starling as he did on
the other islands. When he w
ARTS 1100 Art Appreciation
FIRST STUDY GUIDE
1. What is Folk Art?
2. What does the word formal applied to art mean?
About the form
Is the focus on form?
Give an example:
Oil paintaing as oil painting describing physical form
#1BIOLOGY END OF COURSE TEST STUDY GUIDE
Content Domain 1: Cells
1. The _cell_ is the basic unit of structure and function in all
2. There are 2 main categories of cells: Prokaryotic and
What is Ultrasonic Units?
It is used in many dental and medical offices
Cleans a large variety of instruments before
Its uses sound waves to clean waves produce millions
of microscopic bubbles.
When bubbles strike the item, they
Observing Fire Safety
3 things need to start
Oxygen / air
What are the major causes of fire?
Is carelessness with smoking and matches
Other causes include misuse of electricity
Defects in heating system
Infection control precautions
Preventing the spread of pathogens between patients,
healthcare workers to patients or vice versa.
All levels require hand hygiene
Transmission based precautions
Infection Control Methods and Personal Protective Equipment
PPE is an important component of infection control used to
protect the spread of infection to other and to the
When washing hands with soap and water, firs
Routes of transmission Contact
Host comes in contact with reservoir
Kissing, Skin to skin contact, sexual intercourse
Contact with soil or vegetation
Disease is carried from reservoir to host
Routes of Transmission
Feces contaminate food, environment, or hands
Transmitted by insects
And human to human transmission
Occurs when infection is t
What are the different shapes of Bacteria ?
Chain of bacilli
Chain of infect
Blood borne Pathogen Standard
Contains mandates to protect health care providers
from diseases caused by exposure to body fluids
Examples of Body Fluids:
Semen and Vaginal Secretions
Urine and Stool
Saliva, mucus and other similar fluids
Types of STD
Caused by Herpes Simplex Virus and transmitted through
direct skin-to-skin contact
Symptoms- some have no symptoms, most have
itching/burning sensation developing into painful blisterlike lesions on or around genitals.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
What are the signs and symptoms of STDs?
Any of the following can indicate an STD:
Redness or soreness of the genitals
Pain at urination, cloudy, strong smelling urine
To prevent injury to yourself and others: it is
important to use correct body mechanics.
Body mechanics: way in which the body moves
and maintains balance with the most efficient use
of all its parts.
Four reasons to