18th Century Reordering
- Available and consumed everywhere in the colonies.
- Crossed socioeconomic class divisions as well as regional
- Designed to control colonial markets and colonial enterprise.
Enlightenment & Salem Witch Trials
Visible & Invisible Worlds
- Long tradition of witch hunting in Europe.
- Cognitive Dissonance.
- Clash in ones mind between the scientific evidence and
theological beliefs cause tremendous tension.
- 45,000 Executions,
Early Colonial Demographics
Demographics of people and the disputes over land lead to conflict within the colonies.
I. Massachusetts Bay Colony & Plymouth Colony.
A. Religious & Cultural Change.
- With the growth of the colony and the rapid success people
Early American Colonies
- Controlled by Nobles not the government.
- Maryland, 1634
- Carolina, 1663
- New York, 1664
- Pennsylvania, 1681
- Georgia, 1732
- Post 1660,
- Carolina, 1663
- New York, 1664 (Already a
Early American Slave Systems
I. Experiencing Slavery
- Rev. H. Jones
- Removing Negroes human identity.
- Spoken about like livestock.
- Life as a slave is better than life in Africa.
- Assumption that they were bettering their lives.
- Couldnt survive wi
Early European Settlement
1. Algonquians (Powhatan Confederacy)
- Aware of White man.
- European Fishermen.
- Gotten diseases from white man.
- This made them cautious when the Jamestown settlers landed.
- Began to form a confederacy, defensive alliance.
Early European Exploration
1492 & Before
I. Early Exploration
A. No flat earth
- No one with any education or learning believed that the earth was flat.
- Knew from Greek astronomy that the earth was in fact was more
- The relationship between
Spanish & French Exploration
Challenge: Demythologizing Spanish Conquest & Black Legend
I. Spanish Exploration
- Enslave the natives
- Encomienda, the right to collect labor tribute
- Compulsory conversion
- By 1550 Spain considers themselves in control o
Introduction to Colonial N. America
- Beginning point of this period is almost Medieval Europe, feudal system in terms of
church and state.
- Gender roles and gender identity is not so fixed when people come to the new
- New world was not so quickl
Early Caribbean Settlement
- Settled 1612, by the British.
- Settled 1627, by the British.
In What ways was the settlement of Barbados motivated by the same things that
sent the British to Virginia Colony and Massachusetts Bay
French & Indian War
Seven Years War, The Great War for Empire
- The great 18th century war to establish imperial conquest.
The Continental wars of the 18th century
- Queen Anns War, 1720.
- King Georges War, 1740.
- Main rivals always England and France.
Gender & Sexuality
I. Sexuality & Sexual Behavior.
A. Thomas (ina).
- What is parallel to what we think about gender and sexuality
- Gender, how one acts.
- Sex, anatomical.
- Very 20th century idea.
- Sexual behavior was high