Psych 312 Key Questions 3
1. Historically, what was thought to cause psych disorders?
The devil was originally thought to cause psychological disorders.
2. By the 1800s, more humane practices became common. Define the medical model and
its influence on ps
Psych 312 Key Questions 4
How many suicides are committed in a year?
There are around 30,000 suicides reported in the US each year.
Which gender is more likely to commit a fatal suicide? Why?
Males are more likely to succeed in a suicide attempt, as they
Psych 312 Key Questions 5
What is psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy are treatments that use psychological rather than biological means to
Explain, in depth, psychoanalytic therapy.
It is the second most common therapy, the use of
Psych 312 Key Questions 2
1. Define humanism.
It minimizes the effects of the unconscious mind, focusing instead on the uniquely
human capacity to
understand ones place in the world; people are also assumed to
have a natural tendency toward growth and the
Psych 312 Key Questions 1
Personality is the characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving that
distinguish one person from another.
2. Who was Sigmund Freud?
He was a psychologist in the late 19th/early 20th century wh
12 April 2010
Article Assignment 3
The overall purpose and objective of this study is the examine language learning
in infants. More specifically examining that a primary task of learning language
Prof. C. Conway
8 February 2010
Article Assignment 1
1. The researchers attempted to improve Karens recognition of faces through
training. The training involved a series of programs spanning eighteen
months and unfortunately yielded
28 April 2010
The purpose of the studies is to examine the extent to which the events of a story,
specifically the end of that story, contribute to the hindsight bias. In a more general sense
Cognition Notes 5
- Process of putting information together into meaningful groups
Short-term vs. Long-term Memory
- Short-term - Holds a small amount of information in mind in an active, readily available state for
a short period of time. Estima
Cognition Notes 4
- Used to identify phonetic sounds, shows how the spectral density of a signal varies with time.
- Speech sound of phonological segment that makes a difference in meaning
- When speaking, each time a s
Cognition Notes 3
- Having patients self-report their cognitive process. Has many disadvantages results cannot be
replicated, person could be reporting incorrectly, there are sub-conscious processes at work that
patient may be unaware of.
Cognition Notes 2
Human Language vs Animal Communication
Only human language uses symbols to represent objects. Kanzi was a chimp who
could understand spoken English because his mother was given Lexicon training
during his infancy. Words are detached from
Cognition Notes 1
Memory as Reconstructive Process
Psychologists performed a study involving the recall accuracy of the War of the
Ghosts story, about two young Indian hunters.
Schema-guided construction of episodic memories that