History of Psychology Notes 8-25-16
Define Epistemology- the theory of knowing
A priori- knowledge has to do with what is prior or comes before out physical existence,
this says we are born with it.
Posterior knowledge- is derived from what comes later vi
First Day Review
World Length effect focuses on rehearsal rate, if it takes a long time to rehearse the words, you will forget
more words. Longer words take longer to rehearse.
Hypothesis: outcome expected based on prior research
IV: general term for grou
3.Laboratory studies of memory?
Are assumed to have high internal validity (compared to field research)
6. One problem with using a single-subject design to examine memory (as Ebbinghaus
did) is that?
The subject tested may not be representative o
Capacity- assumed to be small (7+2)
Generic Memory (LTM)- a component of memory that stores
everything you learn over your lifetime. (Conscious and unconscious)
(Example: riding a bike, swimming, reading)
First Midterm Exam History of Psychology Fall Semester 2016
As a branch of philosophy, what is the focus of Epistemology?
Epistemology the theory of knowing
What are the different ways of finding truth?
Epiricism- the use
FINAL EXAM STUDY GUIDE
HISTORY OF PSYCHOLOGY
1. What did Pavlovs work establish?
Pavlov taught us that significant psychological phenomena can be
studied objectively, and that classical conditioning is a basic form
of learning that applies to al
1. Tips for your career
Learn to be p-pleasant, I-Indisposable, E-Effective.
Qualifications, capability and personality.
2. Internationalize yourself
3. Computerize yourself
4. learn to say yes attend and try to go to trade shows and confrences.
5. hone y
Types of Memory
1. Sensory Memory component that takes in the visual and auditory
a. Capacity - (the amount of info that can be held at one time) compared
to STM the Sensory memory capacity is assumed to be relatively large
which means larger
Memory Methods (Field and Lab Research)
1. External and internal validity external validity measures the degree to which
a study can be generalized to new context or people / internal validity
measures the degree to which a study is free of confounds. Con
Chapter 17: Critical Thinking:
What duties to Church might Bagley have violated in this
As an agent of Church Farm, Inc (Gilbert Church), Herb Bagley
violated his duties to Gilbert Church by straying from his
employment duties. Bag
Chapter 10: Critical Thinking:
Had Indy kept the motorcycle, but handed over the Certificate of Orgin to Allen, then the title would not
have been passed until the motocycle was delivered. Title passes to a buyer when the goods are
Chapter 8: Critical Thinking:
Yes, Cypresss conduct was unethical. Cypress was aware that Garden Ridge had requested a
$240,000 rent reduction as well as the fact that Garden Ridge was required to get a personal
guaranty of the propertys loan
Chapter 4: Critical Thinking:
If Taylors minor son (whos actual age we dont know) were instead hit by a ball while at Safeco
Field, I do believe that the result would be the same; both Taylor and her son took on the
assumption of risk. The re
1. In order for the courts to decide if the transaction was covered by the UCC, they would need
to determine if the transaction was for a good or a service since the UCC covers the sale of
goods only. However, if a court decides that a mixed co
1. If Irene were to file a tort against Darla alleging slander her suit would not be successful. I say
this because although Darla orally communicated Irenes defamation of character, her statement
was factual. Darlas simply made a statement of F
1. Prior to Janet filing her petition for relief under Chapter 7 bankruptcy, she must do the following.
(1) She must receive credit counseling from an approved nonprofit agency within 180 days
preceding the date of filing. (2) She must confirm
1. An agreement whose terms are expressed inside a box in which goods are packaged is known as
Shrink-Wrap Agreements. Once the Hyatts unsealed the box and read the terms inside they
were then made aware of the terms. By keeping the computer for