1. Identify the key nutrients that can be missing from a vegetarian diet.
The risk of following a vegetarian diet includes potential deficiencies of nutrients found in animal
(Protein, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin b12, and A,
1. Describe the basic structure of an amino acid hydrophobic, hydrophilic,
-Each amino acid has an acid group (COOH), amine group (NH2), and a side
-The amino acids fold into a distinct 3-d shape based on the i
1. What are the pros and cons of importing and exporting food to and from the
-Food production outside the United States
a. Most fish and shellfish eaten in the United States is now imported
b. About 32 percent of the fruit and nuts we buy
1. Explain who might benefit from a vitamin supplement.
People who cannot meet their needs through a regular, varied diet, such as:
pregnant or lactating women, older people, strict vegetarians, people with food
allergies, medical conditions, or low-calor
1. Explain the differences between heme iron and nonheme iron.
There are 2 forms of iron: heme and nonheme iron.
-Heme iron comes from animal sources, is part of hemoglobin and myoglobin, and easily absorbed
-Nonheme iron in plant foods is not easily abso
1. Define ghrelin and leptin.
-Ghrelin: produced in stomach when empty, produces hunger.
-When fat stores inc, leptin in fat tissue signals brain to dec hunger and food intake.
2. Discuss the strategies for achieving healthy weight loss.
Successful long t
-Alcoholic beverages may contain congeners which contribute to hangover
symptoms: headache, fatigue, nausea, increased thirst, rapid heartbeat,
tremors, sweating, dizziness, depression, anxiety, and irritability.
-Alcohol is a diuretic; can cause dehydrat
Objectives1. Explain how the body absorbs alcohol and circulated in the body.
-Alcohol is a toxin and the body works quickly to metabolize and eliminate it.
You absorb alcohol in your stomach and small intestine. Some alcohol is
1. Discuss the most effective treatment for eating disorders.
-Multidisciplinary teams is most effective approach
-psychological, medical, and nutrition professionals
-nutritional approaches ic: identifying binge triggers, safe and unsafe foods, hunger an