1. Determine the most appropriate nursing care for couples during preconception to help ensure
their best possible health state.
a. Preconception counseling
i. To recognize and limit exposure to environmental hazards
ii. To ID and take steps to chan
CH. 26 Educating New parents
1. Summarize essential information to be obtained about a newborn's birth experience and
immediate postnatal period.
a. Review prenatal and birth info for possible RF
b. Gestational age assessment
i. Apgar scores at 1 & 5 mins
1. Identify structures and functions of the female reproductive system
a. External genitals
i. Mons pubis- rounded mound of subcutaneous fatty tissue beginning at the lowest
portion of the anterior abdominal wall. It protects
1. Examine the emotional impact on a couple undergoing genetic testing or coping with the birth of
a baby with a genetic disorder, and the nurse's role in supporting the family undergoing genetic
a. Nursing considerations
i. Anticipate t
CH. 29 Postpartum Assessment
1. Describe the basic physiologic changes that occur in the postpartal period as a woman's body
returns to its prepregnant state.
Postpartum Uterine Changes
a. Uterus decreases in size in process called involution and cells at