1. The affinity of Stanfordin for the IEC column matrix is less than the affinity of NDase for
the IEC column matrix.
2. The cation in the KOAc buffer that is exchanging with the NDase on the column matrix
causing NDases elution is Potassium.
3. NDase has
1. BME, -mercaptoethanol, breaks covalent bonds while SDS, sodium dodecylsulfate,
breaks down peptide bonds.
2. There is only one polypeptide chain that comprises a protein with no quaternary structure.
3. You have to check for bubbles at the electrodes o
1a. The mean column fraction number used for the hemoglobin elution volume is 4.894736842,
the majority being from the 4th fraction.
1b. The mean column fraction number used for Vitamin B12 elution volume is 10.63157895, the
majority being from the 11th f
BIOS 11161 IN-LAB Thought Questions
Complete and review during lab today
1. List several functions that SDS-PAGE serves for the biological researcher.
a Serves to separate proteins
b Find molecular weights
c Finding differences in proteins from differen
Carboxyl cannot lend positive, can only lend negative
Deprotonated goes from neutral to negative
Above ph 4 carboxyl lends negative charge
Amino cannot lend negative
The amino group is not deprotonated until high pH goes from + to neutral charge
Running head: BIOLOGICAL REPORT
The aim of the experiment was to determine the effect of enzyme concentration on
Reactions in the body requires an enz