Study guide: Ch16 Endocrine System
1. What are the two major control systems of the body?
Nervous System: Controls activity of muscles and glands
Endocrine System: Collection of glands that regulate:
Growth and development
Study guide: Ch17 Blood
1. What are the main elements of blood, as a connective tissue?
- Blood develops from mesenchyme. Structural elements of blood are its living White Blood Cells,
and its non-living Extracellular Matrix comprised of Plasma, which is
Bones and Muscles
What can bones tell us?
Male vs. female
Height of individual
Approximate age of individual
Race (in some cases)
Cause of death (in some cases)
Other clues about a crime
DNA samples can be collected to pro
Study guide: Ch 18 Heart
1. Describe the location of the heart in the human body.
- The heart is enclosed within the mediastinum. It lies anterior to the vertebral column
and posterior to the sternum. It tips slightly to the left.
2. Describe the structur
Ch. 23 The Digestive System
Break food down into
Absorbs these molecules
into the blood stream
Get rid of indigestible
Why do we need food?
1. Nutrients as fuel for cellular respiration
2. Building blocks for cells in tissu
Anatomy & Division
In lab book
Anatomy of the cell:
In general, all animal cells have
three major regions, or parts
The Urinary System
Structures of the Urinary System
More than just the bladder!
from kidney to
from the bladder
to the body
Ch 22 Respiratory System
*Breathing and Respiration are NOT the same thing!*
Air is moved in and out of the lungs
Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide are exchanged
Cant you tell how
excited I am to
Four Steps to Respi